Just got my Cactus V5s and .... slight problem

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, i unboxed my cactus V5s and slapped my nissin di622 on a tripod and went to fool around with some cat food! haha seriously ....... anyways i wa shooting and as i got to about 100mm i set my shutter to about 1/160 and i started seeing a black bar at the bottom of the photo. There was nothing in front of my lens other then my subject and thats when it clicked .. SHUTTER LAG! right? So anything above 1/200 was pitch black (i was shooting in pitch black) and i became frustrated. Does this have something to do with the Nissin Di622 / the cactus v5 / or my canon 5dmkii .... not sure what to think. Im going to play basketball while its still daylight but when i get back im going to try out my old canon 199a flash i picked up to see if i have the same problem. Anyways heres a photo of the cat food lol

5809532526_5089de13e0.jpg
[/url] _MG_0095503 by Wes P. Images, on Flickr[/IMG]

Did you try it with new batteries? (Or freshly recharged batteries)

Maximum sync speed?

Depends on the camera. Mine is 1/200. Anything over that I get black bars of varying width.

Does your camera or flash support FP high sync flash?

I believe that the max sync speed of the 5D is 1/200. Anything above that, and any flash will give you problems with the shutter blocking part of the frame.

Add in a cheap flash and a cheap radio trigger and you probably have to give it some extra time (longer shutter speed). So ya, you'll probably have to keep it below 1/160...1/125 etc.

From the other forum, most people were saying it should work with 1/160. And some reports works in 1/200, but most said banding occurs in 1/200 (max sync speed of 5D)

I tried looking on Canons web site for sync speed earlier, I must have missed it. I used the brand new batteries supplied with the transceivers, but ill put new ones i have in the house and try it out. Now i find this agitating because that means i wont be able to "stop motion" such as ppl dancing. Is there any solution for sync speeds or im solely limited by the camera? How did you like the photo? hahaha

Im also upset that i really wont be able to shoot over 100mm hand held while using flash :/ .... i bought a 70-200 that has only been mounted to my camera when i first bought it!

People dancing ... it depends how you light the subject. If the shutter speed / ISO / Aperture can kill the ambient light, the flash can freeze the motion. Or you maybe able to create a interesting type of photos such as the main subject are sharp (flash exposure) while there are some motion in the background (ambient exposure).

Seems like you already figured it out, but for reference sake, my Cacti 5's do 1/320 with no problem on a 60d, which is spec'd at 1/250

Seems like you already figured it out, but for reference sake, my Cacti 5's do 1/320 with no problem on a 60d, which is spec'd at 1/250

Did you use it with a Canon flash?

LumoPro LP160

Thanks. Good to know. From the other forum, it seems different flash yield different result. Those who use with Canon 580ex have better result. Others usually slower than the camera x-sync especially with full frame camera.

Most reactions

Back