Just got my first roll of (CVS-developed) film back. Terrible results

I was wondering if it's the film, the developing, or both. On Amazon it seems like anybody can list anything (just like on ebay), the seller may not be a business. I have to wonder where people get film cheap enough to resell it cheap...

Unless there's something on this roll of film you really need (which you could scan and adjust digitally) I'd shoot another fresh roll of film purchased from a reputable seller and try another lab. The chain drug stores in my area have never been the best option for developing film.

I've never had any issues buying film from Amazon. Sometimes the price is dropped because the film is about to expire in a few months, but it's still perfectly good to shoot. Even expired film shouldn't start showing signs of age for a few years after expiration - assuming proper storage, of course. Buying film that's about to expire should be fine if you're shooting it when you get it. If you keep it in the fridge, it should keep for several years and still be fine to shoot with.

Not sure it's relevant, but how did the price of the film from Amazon compare to the same film from say B&H or Adorama? Perhaps if the film was old or not stored well (old store stock?) it may have been discounted a bit.
Pretty sure the price was comparable...about $9

Okay, y'know what? Perhaps we should stop giving the OP a hard time about the CVS development. Before digital was the norm, places like Walgreens, CVS, and Wal-mart did a LOT of developing and they did a fine job. I used to get plenty of rolls developed at CVS and never had any complaints. If they've gone downhill, it's only because not many people develop film anymore, so they have fewer people trained on the machines and fewer rolls to develop, which leads to lower quality. Sometimes people don't have many other choices for development or don't know where to even look.

Give the guy a break already.

Why buy one of the best colour negative films on the market and then send it to a 2 bit outfit to have it developed
Because I'm a genius and you'll soon see the method to my madness. Mwahahhaha!
Seriously, thanks to the helpful posters. Getting a rescan somewhere (The Darkroom). I'll let you know if they turnout better.

Why buy one of the best colour negative films on the market and then send it to a 2 bit outfit to have it developed
Because I'm a genius and you'll soon see the method to my madness. Mwahahhaha!
Seriously, thanks to the helpful posters. Getting a rescan somewhere (The Darkroom). I'll let you know if they turnout better.

Could be a waste of money if they have made a mess of the negs

I look at that first roll of film as simply a quick test of the cameras basic functionality, so if it needed to be returned to the ebay seller as "Not As Described", that he would know before too much time went by. I'd probably do a CVS, Walmart, or similar One Hour processing just for the peace of mind that it was an OK ebay purchase.

Would have been nice to have had some decent pics out of it, but remember there are folks out there that pay a lot of money for software to get the processing effect in digital images that you achieved :lmao: :lmao:

Walgreens FTW.

I obviously don't want to do that every time though
I think it's likely that the reason they look like this is because CVS DIDN'T do that, or much of anything else.

Scans from a 1-hour lab almost never look as good as scans you do yourself at home or those done by a "pro" lab.

CVS is mainly concerned with getting the film back to you in under an hour. They are not generally going to do ANY color correcting, or other adjustments like that.

Well, the verdict is in. It was either bad film or bad CVS. Just got another roll back after I took it to a more reputable place and they look much better

Well, the verdict is in. It was either bad film or bad CVS. Just got another roll back after I took it to a more reputable place and they look much better

Pics or it didn't happen! :D
This was with a roll of Portra 400
$NikkiTowelSmaller.jpg

I've had good luck with Walgreens, but they never cut my negatives the way I want. And my new favorite lab is like 1/3 the price. Develop a roll of 35mm C-41 for $1.60? Why yes, yes you may. In fact, do many of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back