just got my d40:) pictures inside

b2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so yesterday i went out and bought my nikon d40 with a tripod and other cool stuff. i could not be more happy on my choice.:biggrin:

here are some pictures a took today and when i got it. they are manually focused so they might not be perfect... and i croped them a bit...

DSC_0061-1.jpg

DSC_0062-1.jpg

DSC_0086-1.jpg

C&C would be nice
thanks!!
B2k

:wav:

Everyone is buying or thinking about buying a nikon d40 at the moment! :lol:

I got mine on saturday and like you I couldnt be more happier - check out my post 'test drive - nikon d40' posted up some of my test shots.

I think for the price its a fantastic bit of kit.

Your photos are fab - guess you were just testing it out like i was. The second photo is a little out of focus but if its manual then that happens. The first and last photos are clear.

What kit did you buy?

Nik

thanks happysnap!
i saw your post and you took some nice shots out there i like the ones with the ducks!
my kit is the 18-55 one. i think it will serve me good for a while.

B2k

Thank you

I quite like wildlife and sports so thats why i wanted the 70-300 lens aswell. Post some more photos up when you have taken some, would like to see what you do! :thumbup:

Last edited:
As far as C&C goes, not too much one can say about these types of image really; technically they're fine (#2 won't open for me however). The focus is good, as is the exposure, and in #3, you've done a very good job of what could be a tricky situation with the shiny white bowl. A slightly greater DoF wouldn't have hurt, but that's minor. Keep it up!

Edit: #2 finalllly opened up. Okay, this one I can provide some comment on: When you're doing close-up/macro work, you're almost always dealing with a shallow DoF; therefore you need to be very careful of the composition. The pansy is ideal since it's a fairly flat bloom. This image is somewhat soft, but could have been made much better by a change in your position such that the "face" of the bloom was more or less at 90 deg to your lens axis, thereby requiring minimal DoF. Also take care to avoid things like the grass which is in the way, and don't be scared to crop closer to the subject. We want to see the flower, not the grass.

oh great, that helped thank you very much!

Now the f/5.2 etc...how do we adjust this on the camera? Do they all have it? I love that 'blur background' look and how you focus on ONE OBJECT

You want a lower f/ number to get more bokeh or background blur. On the D40 you can be in P mode, A mode or M mode to change the aperture. I would stick with P and A modes in this case. In either mode you can turn the rear dial (behind the shutter button and other buttons near it) to change the aperture. In these two modes (P & A) the shutter speed will change as you change the aperture to a speed that complements the aperture for the pre-set exposure (based on ISO, EV and other settings).

thanks for the C&C and good comments!

tirediron if i understand what you are saying is that i need to be closer to the subject to have a minamal DoF. and if i mix that with potownrob`s advice, that is using a smaller f number, i will have a nice blured back ground and a sharp subject.

i will go back and shoot the flower today and post some pictures when i come back!

B2k

Nice photos there! Although, I must admit, they don't jump out at me particularly, but that's to be expected. You're just testing it out.

Nice job manually focusing, and I'd love to see some more of those close-up photos!

so i went out again to take some pictures of the flower. i think it came out a litle better but its not like like i wanted it to be. i also took pictures of a bigger flower that did not come out fully focused :thumbdown:. a was attacked by rain and had to go inside :grumpy: so for now this is what i got:

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0012-1-1.jpg

again C&C would be nice
thanks!
B2k

nice everyone's getting a d40 lol d40 power! awesome pics enjoy i know i am!

so i went out again to take some pictures of the flower. i think it came out a litle better but its not like like i wanted it to be. i also took pictures of a bigger flower that did not come out fully focused :thumbdown:. a was attacked by rain and had to go inside :grumpy: so for now this is what i got:

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0012-1-1.jpg

again C&C would be nice
thanks!
B2k

You either went to close in the first picture and the camera didn't focused well or you shot the picture with a low shutter speed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back