Just joined the Nikon 1 family

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Saw a deal that I couldn't resist. Buydig via ebay has a refurb kit with the J1, 10-30mm and 30-110 refurbished for $200. Now I have to track down an FT-1 adapter. No idea what I hope to gain, but it looks like a fun little system...

Your sigma will have a 405-1350mm range! hahahhahahha

I want him to try his Tamron on the J1 !!

Are you now going to exclusive penthouse parties and hanging out with models like the ads?

I want him to try his Tamron on the J1 !!
I just want the Tamron to show up some day.. Looks like 2 more months :(

Are you now going to exclusive penthouse parties and hanging out with models like the ads?
Hopefully Ashton Kutcher will show up and teach me how to take better photots :)

If anyone has an FT-1 they want to sell cheap PM me :)

Saw a deal that I couldn't resist. Buydig via ebay has a refurb kit with the J1, 10-30mm and 30-110 refurbished for $200. Now I have to track down an FT-1 adapter. No idea what I hope to gain, but it looks like a fun little system...

Ridiculous 2.7x crop and 60 frames in a single click.... what more could a wildlife photographer want?

nikon 1?!?

you'll have to let us know how it performs in real world conditions.
from the advertisements, I can only assume that you are now a secret agent and will have no less than 2 hot supermodel girlfriends.

Last edited by a moderator:
nikon 1?!?

... I can only assume that you are now a secret agent and will have no less than 2 hot supermodel girlfriends.
Now I'm interested in a Nikon 1 ...

Don't get too excited about using it w/ the FT-1.
You're stuck to the central focus point only; ok for a lot of situations but bad for others.
And the MTF requirements of the sensor REALLY pushes a lens's capabilities; but you can't stop down for lens sharpness because you get into diffraction very quickly and you need a high(er) SS. ISO performance is pretty bad.

I've tried it with several of my lenses (28-300, the new 80-400, Sigma 120-300 2.8, 400 2.8). I get better results using the D800, or a 2x TC and the D4. (In demanding situations I get the best results using the D4 and cropping).

I do usually have the 80-400 along with the V2 kit just in case, but it's a significant compromise on IQ.

You're stuck to the central focus point only; ok for a lot of situations but bad for others.
And the MTF requirements of the sensor REALLY pushes a lens's capabilities; but you can't stop down for lens sharpness because you get into diffraction very quickly and you need a high(er) SS. ISO performance is pretty bad.

I've tried it with several of my lenses (28-300, the new 80-400, Sigma 120-300 2.8, 400 2.8). I get better results using the D800, or a 2x TC and the D4. (In demanding situations I get the best results using the D4 and cropping).

I do usually have the 80-400 along with the V2 kit just in case, but it's a significant compromise on IQ.

This makes me wonder what would provide better quality, cropping from a D90 or using the already cropped sensor of the 1 series with the FT1? At some point I plan to upgrade to a D7100 (or its replacement), but the 1 series might be a fun little addition in the meantime.

Lol, i find it hard to believe you get better results with a 3k and 6k camera :) j/k.. I'm not expecting much.. more of a play toy... :)

I've been curious about the crop factor too on a telescope. Hey, Jupiter and Saturn are a few miles away. But I have yet to test my FF d600 vs crop d7000 that I've been using. Also the smaller size would be less weight the scope is burdened with. But from what I've read the small sensor is not as good as a larger sensor cropped.

This makes me wonder what would provide better quality, cropping from a D90 or using the already cropped sensor of the 1 series with the FT1? At some point I plan to upgrade to a D7100 (or its replacement), but the 1 series might be a fun little addition in the meantime.
In general I always find that cropping the image from the sensor with larger pixels is better... little pixels really do need used at their optimum settings or the images need down-sampled heavily (i.e. D800).

Most reactions

Back