Just one for C&C

Sammie_Lou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just one I got over the holiday weekend of my brother and my dog out on the lake. It was taken during the sunset and I don't quite have the settings figured out for that sort of lighting yet. I was actually really pleased with the way that this one came out but I just wanted to get everybody here's take on it. Thanks! Just wanted to add that the only PP that I've done on this is to adjust the white balance a bit...it was really red SOOC.

tommy enzo sunset by SHerren88, on Flickr

Nobody?? I was really hoping to get some feedback on ways that I might be able to make this better. I got the suggestion to clone out the poles from the dock on another forum, but I'm not sure if that would look weird...I was thinking maybe a different crop. Also, does that vignetting look happen in certain types of light?? I didn't add a vignette on this photo, but it looks like it has one...

It has nothing to do with "settings". When you're shooting a back lit subject, you need to use fill flash to properly expose your subject. Unless you want your subject to be a dark silhouette.

I wasn't talking about settings to light up my subject. I know how to turn the flash on. I meant more to capture the colors of the sunset. I like that they're dark silhouettes in this picture.

Perhaps be a little more specific in what you're asking for, then. The first thing that jumped out at me was the underexposed subjects. If you want to capture the colors of the sunset, include the sun set. Without it, this pic looks like it could have been taken at any time of the day. It would also provide a better context for silhouetted subjects. It just doesn't work on this one.

Sammie_Lou,

There are two things that could be changed to improve this, I think.

First, they are in the center and there is no tension or direction in the picture.
Second, it is a bit cold tones for a sunset picture.
When I think of silhouettes against the sun, I think of orange-y glare and barely discernible figures.

So I would move them off to one side and warm it up a bit

Now he is moving 'out' into the water and the dog is sort of following, 'away' from the shore.

59070697113f577b12acbll.jpg

Thanks for the constructive criticism! I will for sure try to do a little PP on it, as soon as the Geek Squad gives me my laptop back. =) I think I'm going to try cloning out the poles (above the dock) as suggested by someone in another forum. I'll up the temperature a little bit, as well. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back