Just read Ken Rockwell's review of the D3000

Love my d3000 and you would be capable of getting some really good shots. If you want, check out some of my past photo posts.

i think allot of the stuff being called out is stuff that most people who pick up a d3000 won't even have a clue about. i feel its been a good entry level camera for me. will i upgrade in the future, most likely. but chances are pretty high that i would do that anway. id say not to worry to much about the review and just use it till you outgrow it.

....I guess I'm just surprised to see Rockwell trash the D3000 so hard, and he even makes it a point several times to point out how superior the D40 is, I can't really see how the D40 is better at all.

Am I wrong?

Ken loves taking flash pictures (of his kids) and will defend the higher flash sync speed without giving any thought to blooming issues raised by the long exposure and the use of CCD gating. The ADR can be addressed by applying it after the picture is taken to those photos where highlights and shadow detail both exist. Noise is very subjective and the new EXPEED processor is favouring detail over noise. This can be dialed down with more noise reduction. If you love at Steve Huff's review of the D3100 (which Ken just loves), you'll see at HIGH ISO 1600 crops that have him preferring the noise characteristics of the D3000.

Last, there is a review at CameraLabs that is fairly balanced. The skinny with Ken is that he would be happy with the D40 and he was not happy with some of the minor changes that you mentioned and decided to slap Nikon on the wrists. Most users would be happy with the D3000.

PeAK

i think allot of the stuff being called out is stuff that most people who pick up a d3000 won't even have a clue about. i feel its been a good entry level camera for me. will i upgrade in the future, most likely. but chances are pretty high that i would do that anway. id say not to worry to much about the review and just use it till you outgrow it.

lol......So true. I bought one in the spring(my 1st dslr) and really enjoyed tackling something new. Later I saw Rockwell's review and thought I must have screwed up. But it really doesn't bother me that he doesn't like it. To make a golf analogy, I'm like a beginning golfer with no hope of breaking 100 anytime soon. So no need for me to play with the same equipment the pro's play with.

I think it's a good starter camera for me to learn on. Even if I get serious with photography, this camera should do all I need for quite some time to come. Later if I learn enough and the bug bites hard, I'll upgrade then. BTW, I was showing some of my photo's to family members yesterday and they were amazed at the quality. Certainly not because of my ability, but from the equipment. Of course they are an easy audience, unlike here. ;)

Ken has been shooting for forty years. Surely after four decades of taking pictures he has learned something. I just bought a ten year old N80, thanks to what I've learned from him.

Your Camera Doesn't Matter

It's not on the camera.
It's the user.

either camera works with good photographers.

But D3000 sucks.
:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back