Just returned my DSLR. Did I make the right choice?

So sweet gsgary! I just love asking an honest question to get a snide response

Welcome to TPF! Unfortunately, if you ask a question of this nature here you're going to get that type of response from at least one person. This forum is not for those who don't deal with criticism well. I'd suggest sticking with a bridge camera as others have said. It will let you learn about manual settings while not being quite so complicated as a dSLR. Shoot with the bridge camera until you feel like you've outgrown it or it dies and then re-assess if you're ready for a dSLR again. No harm in being satisfied with what you have.

On another note - you can use a dSLR in a situation where you don't want to take risks by just using auto mode and experiment and learn the rest of the time until you're more comfortable with it. Just because you have a dSLR doesn't mean you can't use it on auto at all. Unless, of course, it's the larger size that you did not like. Good luck at any rate!

Thanks Infinite. I understand what you are saying, and might be looking into a good bridge cam.

Criticism is one thing. Making useless remarks like "you should take up knitting" is just unnecessary. One does not have to be a photographer or carry around a DSLR to response like that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!

Dslr's only seem like they are complicated. Youtube helps a lot specially if you are a visual learner. It doesnt take years to learn to use them properly. It only takes years to master your art. But since you're just taking casual photos you will learn in about a week on how to use it properly. Now the artistic side of photography takes awhile to get. Composition, playing with exposure (low key and high key).
If I were you I would look up youtube for photography tips. Many on there.

Look on amazon for a book called "Understanding Exposure". It's an easy read and incredibly helpful. If you were using your old camera in manual mode you may be surprised how much you already know. If you just want to test the waters look for a good deal on a used dslr on craigslist. I started that way and have bought and sold several cameras, always for a profit, and am now up to a Canon T2i that I basically got for free. It's not the camera of my dreams, but it's better than I am, lol.

You're probably right. I think I did give up..

You may have, but I find modern DSLRs incredibly confusing (I'm pretty much exclusively a manual camera user). When I occasionally pick up a friends DSLR to play with, I want to know a few things: how to get it into manual, how to get the meter to read spot or center weighted, and where the focus lock is. This usually takes 3 minutes to explain and covers 95% of my shooting style. For the other 5% I need to wade through hundreds of pages of the manual. You don't need to master your DSLR from the very beginning, you just need to be able to access the few functions that are necessary for your needs and shooting style. Leave the rest for later.

Honestly, sounds like you gave up to me. Looks like you figured out how little of your results were yourself and how much of it was automated technology in your P&S. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of people don't follow up on a hobby as expensive and extensive as photography, but in your original post, you come off a bit pretentious for somebody who can't figure out how to operate a DSLR.

There is a whole world out there and everybody's standards are different, but, honestly, I can't believe you agreed to shoot a wedding with a P&S and without the skills necessary to even operate a very, very basic DSLR like the D3100. Honestly, it baffles me.

The D3100 is at the very bottom of entry level DSLR's. It still has scene modes. It still has an 'auto' mode. It's basically a bigger P&S that can use different lenses.

It may be that you have a real skill with photography, but went with a DSLR that was limiting you unnecessarily, but honestly, I don't think that's what happened.

The main advantage of DSLR's is their interchangeable lenses and adaptability to different situations. If you can't take advantage of that, or see it as a negative, by all means, a P&S or Bridge camera would likely be a better fit.

So, for most people, I would say that, yes, you made a mistake. For you, I would say you did the right thing. You don't seem to have the wherewithal to follow up on this 'hobby'.

I just love reading these responses. You all have been so helpful! I'm looking forward to uploading my old & most recent photos (p&s and DSLR, pre-return) and viewing yours! SO happy I found this forum *phew*!

I just love reading these responses. You all have been so helpful! I'm looking forward to uploading my old & most recent photos (p&s and DSLR, pre-return) and viewing yours! SO happy I found this forum *phew*!

I'm sorry, what I meant to say was that I admire you for being such a savvy consumer. You have managed to buy something without doing any research on it, not learn how to use it, and then return it for your money back. That means the store now has to sell it as a used or refurbished camera at a loss or at least at a lower profit.

IMO, you shouldn't have been allowed to return it in the first place. Doesn't sound like the product was defective, just the purchaser. The reason I care; because people like you drive the price up for everybody else. Not cool.

I'm sorry, what I meant to say was that I admire you for being such a savvy consumer. You have managed to buy something without doing any research on it, not learn how to use it, and then return it for your money back. That means the store now has to sell it as a used or refurbished camera at a loss or at least at a lower profit.

IMO, you shouldn't have been allowed to return it in the first place. Doesn't sound like the product was defective, just the purchaser. The reason I care; because people like you drive the price up for everybody else. Not cool.
Actually theft drives the price up.

I don't think DSLR's are big on the shoplifting chart. In any case, I would consider returning a perfectly functioning product because the purchaser didn't know how to use it to be the same thing.

Most stores have dslrs in a case. Even my local ritz doesnt have a d700 or any lens over $500 in the store at all

Entry level dslrs are probably high on the return list. People give them as gifts or buy them expecting amazing pictures out the box because their friend has one and takes good pictures.

Then get frustrated, return it cause they cannot justify the price for the average pictures. Or the camera is too big.

I must admit. Good camera gear can be heavy and bulky, but i dont mind a small backpack. If you want to get great images your going to need to lug some gear. Thats just the way it goes.

you need to shot with what makes you comfortable. bottom line. if you didn't like the one you got, you did the right thing taking it back. now see about getting something you like. you can find film cam. at b&m stores. or you can go with a smaller p&s cam. hell use an iphone if you want. lol. don't give up taking photos for any body, or any reason. if you need take some classes, take some.

you will get the hang of it with time and practice. I'm sure you had to learn your old cam, you've just forgotten.

good luck, and keep shooting.

Anytime you can't sell an item for the full price requires selling the other items higher to make up for loss of profit. It's called shrinkage.

You might also get more help over on Micro Four Thirds User Forum
I say that only as TPF hasn't got the largest community of micro 4/3rds users at present (though I'm sure if you strike up a thread about either brand of micro 4/3rds bodies you'll draw them out of hiding).

Who is hiding? ;)

BTW, m4/3 cameras are DSLRs without the cumbersome mirrors.

I don't think DSLR's are big on the shoplifting chart. In any case, I would consider returning a perfectly functioning product because the purchaser didn't know how to use it to be the same thing.

I'm sorry I didn't mention this before as I didn't think it was pertinent, but since you are so concerned... I didn't purchase the camera brand-new in the box. It was from a local camera shop with a 30 day return policy. He had no problem with me bringing it back (the owner operates the shop).

There was a new model available for not much more, but I chose to not go that route only because I had never used a DSLR before & didn't want to open up the item and have a possibility of bringing it back, which was why he guided me toward the cam I bought.

Does that comfort you?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back