nychaimages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any feedback is encouraged!
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Try getting down more to the dog's level so that you're into their faces rather than down on their heads, and open up a bit so you don't crop ears and other body parts.

Nice set of images, with any dogs/cats always get down to their eye level as the image will be a lot better but still a nice set.

Out of interest what focusing mode are you using for these shots? The first two look almost like you've used all the AF points and the focus has locked onto the closest part of the animal face rather than the eye area, where you want it to be (eyes in focus for an animal photo is one compositional rule that is often very hard to break/avoid). If you didn't I would suggest using single AF points so that you can point the active AF point right at the spot you need in focus. You can always shoot a little wide and then crop for compositional effect in editing, so long as you nail the focus on the eyes.

I also wonder if your three photos here might not benefit from a little more sharpening and a bit more contrast (or even use of the clarity tool if you are processing RAWs - around 20 or so clarity (adjust to your standards of course, but you often don't need much) can really boost the "pop" of a photo). Right now they appear a touch flat (which might be contributing to the slight softness I'm seeing in the critical areas as outlined in my first point)

I also second the view of getting down to eye level, with photography one trick is to realise that a photo becomes far more interesting when it shows something at an angle we are not used too. We are very used to looking down on many animals, so if you are at animal eye level its suddenly a very different sight and we are more interested in general.

Aahhhh pup photos :) To add to the suggestions above, I would have used a higher aperture in the last photo to get the woman in focus too. Same for the pups to get the nose & eyes in focus in the first photo. Check out the Pets or Dog theme threads for ideas.

Aahhhh pup photos :) To add to the suggestions above, I would have used a higher aperture in the last photo to get the woman in focus too. Same for the pups to get the nose & eyes in focus in the first photo. Check out the Pets or Dog theme threads for ideas.

Thanks a lot! Will do

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

New Topics

Back