Just Starting Out

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I'm 20 years old and am ready to start my adventure with DSLRs. This summer, I plan on working enough (it will be a lot of hours for sure) to be able to buy a Nikon D300s and one or two lenses amongst other gear. The only problem is, with there being so many different types of lenses available, I'm unsure of which would be the best suitor. I'm hoping to start a little photography business while in college. I've taken several peoples' senior pictures as well as worked for our collegiate newspaper. While I was growing up, I was my grandfather's assistant when he did wedding photography.

So, what do you think? I'm looking for at least one lens that will allow me to do most of these things. I don't know what my budget will look like when it comes time to buy it, so a cheaper, decent lens is definitely preferred.

Thanks!

Just to complicate your situation there is talk and when I say talk I mean rumours and best guesses, that in August the D400 will be released. If you can wait that long, then beware of the fact your D300s will drop in value.

As far as lenses, whats your budget? Cause for portraits I could recommend 85mm 1.4 if you've got the money ;)

I can see that as both a pro and a con. Pro: The D300s will more than likely drop in price. Con: I'll really want the D400 then and it will likely cost quite a bit more than the D300s.

As for lenses, although I'd LOVE to have the 85mm f/1.4, I think that'll probably be a little out of my price range, especially if I'm going to get more than one. Here's another question though, would it be better to get one multi-purpose lens that's very nice and costs a little more, or would it bet better to get two decent lenses that are cheaper? I forgot to include that I love doing landscape photography as well.

I don't know if it's the same in Nikonland, but the Canon 85mm 1.8 is an excellent lower priced alternative to the 1.4. The quality difference vs. price difference is quite disproportionate.

I don't know if it's the same in Nikonland, but the Canon 85mm 1.8 is an excellent lower priced alternative to the 1.4. The quality difference vs. price difference is quite disproportionate.

I believe the Nikon 1.8 is reffered to as "The Cream Machine".

My advice get the 18-200 as a general lens and either the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 as your portrait, low light lens.

I believe the Nikon 1.8 is reffered to as "The Cream Machine".
Close. The Nikon AF 85mm f/1.4D is nicknamed the "Cream Machine" for it's super smooth, 9 aperture blade, cream cheese, bokeh.

I wouldn't wish Nikon's 18-200 on anyone. For what it costs, it just doesn't deliver, and is Nikon's current worst lens value, IMO.

Close. The Nikon AF 85mm f/1.4D is nicknamed the "Cream Machine" for it's super smooth, 9 aperture blade, cream cheese, bokeh.

LOL. Yeah, shows what I know about Nikon. Still, I imagine their 1.8 is optically very similar to Canon's, which is great value, IMO.

My advice get the 18-200 as a general lens and either the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 as your portrait, low light lens.

Sorry to disagree.
While the 18-200 is a reasonable walk-around lens, it doesn't have the blistering sharpness of the 60 or 85s and that sharpness is what makes portraits look professional.
I have the 50 1.4, the 60 f2 and the 85 1.4 - all stupendously sharp, The 85 is the best with the 60 a close second and the 50 right behind that. But I shoot FF.
On a crop frame the 85 may be a little long for some venues.

For dollar value, any Nikon 60 f2 is a good deal for portraits on a crop or ff.
If you have the $, the 85 1.4 is a dream

LOL. Yeah, shows what I know about Nikon. Still, I imagine their 1.8 is optically very similar to Canon's, which is great value, IMO.
Ya. The Nikon 85 mm f/1.8 is a $400 lens, while the f/1.4 "Cream Machine" is a $1400 lens.

Thanks for all the input!

I think if I just get one lens, it will probably be the 85mm f/1.8 because I've heard a lot of great things about it. I wish I could go for the 1.4 but I can't justify spending the money if I don't even know if people will want me to shoot their events. I can always upgrade later though! What does anyone think of the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G? I'm looking for a good portrait lens and a decent zoom lens without breaking the bank I don't currently have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back