just took this pic last night. is it any good?

DaytonLax14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm new to photography and I just took this pic last night. I'm just wondering if it's any good or if there's anyting i can do to make it beeter? I hate the little bright light towrads the bottom right. Thanks.

The sunset is nice, but it looks like you were using a pretty high ISO, right?

I think that using a lower ISO would make the image look better.

Maybe moving the field of view up, so that we see less of the foreground and more of the sky would make it a little better.

The foreground is...not the best I've seen. Maybe some mountains, or different trees would make it more interesting.

Those are my opinions, but because you're the photographer, you are the one who should make the final decision about how you want to compose the shot.

The main thing that I would suggest is lowering the ISO, and that might mean using a tripod, but that's no biggie.

Happy shooting!

The focus is soft, on everything. The little white dot in the bottom right corner also buggs me.

If you are asking for assistance, this isn't a final photo.
The image is soft.
The colors are nice though.

Little bright lights near the bottom right are why we have post-processing. Here is a 2-second fix using a free computer program.

fixspotyo2.jpg

Other than that, just what the others have mentioned.

And the trees are still soft.
This forum, I thought, was for final judging kind of stuff, not fixing, or trying to.
This image would not do well at any judging by a formal association. Not even with the edit.
That's not all bad. It's a new experience. Try again. Not every photo is a keeper, much less an award winner.

Dayton,
You are new. You said that.
Dont' quit trying.
You have some great colors here.
You saw something worthy, and that is the most true sign of a great photo.
Maybe you should just take more time with the photo.
Lots of people are here to help.

This photo makes me wonder if maybe it was taken with a camera phone?
Its quality is poor, though the sky is lovely and the scene was certainly worth a photo. Composition lacks a bit, along with the very visible technical flaws which have been mentioned already, in so far as there is too much of the black foreground.

When you are so new to the hobby, you might want to post your photos to our galleries, much rather than to the Critical Analysis ... there you will ALSO get critical comments. People on here try to be helpful in each and every one of our galleries (in the most ideal of cases, of course) :D.

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, anyway.

Image deleted - in response to later post - apologies if I contravened forum protocol.

Shots like this are REALLY difficult , my choice would be to use a tripod and bracket each side of the suggested meter reading but that's not always possible and is no guarantee of a perfect shot. Use the strengths of digital i.e take a number of shots at different exposures , and be grateful you're not using film :)

Cheers CJB

This is not the Technical Assistence Forum, this is the Critical Analysis Forum. So this is where finished work is being critiqued. This is NOT the forum where edits are being offered of how a FINISHED (<- that is the requirement for work being presented here) work can be made any better.

sorry for posting a non-finished photo. i'm new to these forums. Anyway, thanks for all the replys/suggestions. I will definately take them into consideration.

Most reactions

Back