Just wanted to say thanks for a year you guys and gals!

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, a few days over a year ago, I got my first dSLR. I had always been interested in photography, but never actually learned anything about it or really even tried much, other than simple point and shoot stuff with a cheap $100 p&S from best buy. My girlfriend broke up with me, and I realized how much I hated my job about the same time, and I decided I needed to start doing some things for myself.

At first I just wanted to learn about photography, to give my brain something to do. As much as I hated my old job (in house attorney for a major insurance company, drafting contracts, not anything to do with claim defense), it was a brain workout, whereas the first job I took after quitting that job was fairly non-stiumulating intellectually, though otherwise pleasant.

So, on about Halloween of last year my humble little D3100 arrived with the kit lens. I took some pictures of bugs, took some snapshots of my dogs, but had no idea what I was doing, really. 4-5 days later I found TPF. I learned a lot, very quickly. I went through a few lulls, where I didn't shoot as much, I went through a brief period when I rarely visited TPF, but it was more or less a steady force to help me grow as a photographer.

TPF helped me so much that I eventually found a job as a photographer. I work for a studio and get paid hourly, so it's not quite the same level as being a highly successful freelancer or owning your own studio, but I pay my bills taking pictures and I love almost every minute of it. I can honestly say I wouldn't be there today without TPF.

Furthermore, I think I'm fairly close to being able to start my own business as well, probably within the next 6 months. Really, the biggest issue with that is more when I leave one of my two current jobs, as running a photography business plus two additional jobs probably would be unmanageable. I certainly want to start off small scale, so I should be able to do it while maintaining one of the two jobs I currently have, but we will see.

Anyway, again, I just wanted to say thanks. I don't know nearly enough, but a lot of what I do know I either found out here, or was pointed in the direction of where to find it out via TPF.

Special thanks to Derrel, O Hey Tyler, MLeek, MTVision, Robin, KmH, The Traveller and unpopular. Im sure I'm forgetting some who have been helpful, but those have always struck me as the most helpful posters for what I've gotten. Both in being informative, giving great critique, and really challenging my thoughts and abilities.

What a nice word of praise. Saying thank you is a wonderful gift to those whom have helped you, which demnostrate your wonderful character. I, too, have been helped so much on here. Wishing you the best on your future!

Cheers to another year!
I'm also sneaking up on a year with my camera, the 24th marks the day, and funny enough, I'm working on a similar post for that day looking back on my first year. It is awesome to read your post and how far you have come in a year, very inspiring!

God. How am I supposed to keep up my persona when I'm being thanked like this!?

You and I joined about the same time. You've progressed really quickly, and I hope you are able to successfully launch out on your own.
Me, I'm still just plodding along in mediocrity, lol. I seem to enjoy it here. :D

But I'll echo the sentiment about TPF and MANY of the individuals who post here. I feel like I've come to *know* some of the folks here personally, and you have definitely helped me to not only improve, but branch out and try some new areas (which I'm now pretty much addicted to!). Several of you have gone WAY above and beyond simple forum niceties in helping me (you know who you are!!). "

I really do love this place; it's like a family!! Well, there's three of you that I simply can't stand, but the rest of you, you're awesome!! :D

You and I joined about the same time. You've progressed really quickly, and I hope you are able to successfully launch out on your own.
Me, I'm still just plodding along in mediocrity, lol. I seem to enjoy it here. :D

But I'll echo the sentiment about TPF and MANY of the individuals who post here. I feel like I've come to *know* some of the folks here personally, and you have definitely helped me to not only improve, but branch out and try some new areas (which I'm now pretty much addicted to!). Several of you have gone WAY above and beyond simple forum niceties in helping me (you know who you are!!). "

I really do love this place; it's like a family!! Well, there's three of you that I simply can't stand, but the rest of you, you're awesome!! :D

ha, you're much better than you give yourself credit for.

Also, the vast majority of improvement I made was when I was able/forced to shoot 40 hours a week for a job, under deadlines.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back