Katrina--(from MD-->)PLEASE DONATE

I'm sure it's made international news. An American city has been effectively shut down from a natural disaster. Bodies floating in water always brings out the cameras and podiums.

What is needed is international aid - I'm sure they'll take whatever they can get right now. :meh:

im sorry if this sounds harsh, so all my friends should forgive me before hand...

WE MUST HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY. we need england, france, germany, austrie(already helping), saudi arabia, and all capable countries to come to our side in our time of need. its appalling to think that some wont help when we stick our necks(in some places we dont belong) out for other coutries in need.

please donate to the local new orleans hospitals, or somewhere. i did.

What is sad is this couldn't have happened to a less orginaized city. Its known that New Orleans local gov. is one of the worst and most corrupt in the nation. There was no contingency for these people. The governement there on an hr to hr basis is showing the world how inept they are. Evacuating the city is the right thing to do, but there is no plan on hw to do that. people warnder the streets think, hoping a bus will come pick them up. The citizens on NOLA can not rely on their elected officials to help them,the mayor and gov have been on tv alot the last couple days sayig how bad it is, but where are they, safe in a Baton Rogue hotel. The fact is New Orleans officals knew that it was only a matter of time before another Camille hit, and they have done nothing but throw up their hands at the situation. They are letting thugs rule the street, stealing whatever they can carry. I am not talking bout the people stealing food, but the kids walking around with 20 pairs of Nikes. Stealing guns out of pawn shops. There was a report of some kids that hijacked a postal truck and shot up the city with automatic weapons. This leads to another long time problem the city has had. Its education system is the worst in the country. Shool teachers there are not required to have degrees, They constantly are not paid, have to deal with children who would rather steal postal vans and shoot people then learn, and deal with a general ghetto mentality starting with what they see in their own neigborhoods. My gf taught grade school in NOLA last yr, finally leaving after a 4th grader threatened her with a knife, mind you that this 4th grader had been in 4th grade for 3 yrs. Sorry now i am just venting. The situation down there is terrible. And the people can not rely on their governement to help them. Hopfully when federal help is finally mobilized there can be some sense of order in the city. These poor people have been living in squaller all their lives, they don't deserve this, their elected governement is really letting them down, and its unfortunately costing lives.

do you honestly expect the mayor and governor to be wading chest deep in water themselves? havoc, come on man. that governer(nadin i think) has reduced crime in that city by some atronomical number like 50%.

there is no amount of preparedness or organization that would ever make something as horrific as this any more managable.

Matt, thats not harsh. I'm sure international assistance is on the way.

How can we donate to a local hospital? I am not aware of a link other than the Red Cross.

On another note, I fail to understand what goes through the minds of those looters. :x

i saw a link on yahoos page about donations. i clicked it and it gave me several places to donate to. i chose the charity hospital of new orleans. ill get the link....

edit.

click for donation page

please help guys, we cant imagine what is going on in those places.

thanks Matt!

MDowdey said:
im sorry if this sounds harsh, so all my friends should forgive me before hand...

WE MUST HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY. we need england, france, germany, austrie(already helping), saudi arabia, and all capable countries to come to our side in our time of need. its appalling to think that some wont help when we stick our necks(in some places we dont belong) out for other coutries in need.

please donate to the local new orleans hospitals, or somewhere. i did.

My sentiments exactly

There are now reports that the evacuation of the some 25,000 people from the Superdome has been disrupted by gunfire. No doubt from looted weapons.

It's got to be anarchy over there right about now. These people are in absolute hell. :meh:

I watched dateline last night, its so horrible. We donated to the red cross this morning, I think with this and the tsunami and everything else the red cross does, they are in great need of donations.

I got this from my local Chamber of Commerce this morning. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone looking for family. And by all means - donate!

This comes from our Disaster Management Area Coordinator. jlp
State OES has learned that trapped victims on the Gulf Coast are calling family, friends, loved-ones, or anyone they can get a call out to in California asking for someone to rescue them. These requests need to go immediately to the US Coast Guard's Rescue Line at 800-323-7233 and immediate assistance will be sent. Please distribute this information as widely as possible.

For those employees and citizens trying to locate relatives and friends in the in the states of Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi here some local emergency hotlines and websites in the impacted areas.

Alabama

Alabama Emergency Management Agency (205-280-2200) www.disaster.ema.alabama.gov/

Louisiana

Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (225-925-7400) www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/
Southeast Louisiana American Red Cross chapter (800-229-8191)

Offices of Emergency Preparedness

Orleans Parish
504-565-7200

Jefferson Parish
504-349-5360

St.Bernard Parish
504-278-4268

St.Tammany Parish
985-898-2323

Lafourche Parish
504-446-8427

Assumption Parish
985-369-7386

St.Charles Parish
985-783-5050

St.John Parish
985-652-2222

St James Parish
225-562-2364

Plaquemine Parish
504-297-5500

Tangipohoa Parish
985-748-9602

Terrebonne Parish
985-873-6357

Washington Parish
985-732-5200

St.Mary Parish
504-385-2600

Orleans City Departments Phone Numbers

Office Of Emergency Preparedness
504-565-7200

Mayor's Public Advocacy Office
504-565-7115

Mayor's Communications Office
504-565-6580

New Orleans Police Department
504-821-2222

New Orleans Fire Department
504-565-7800

Public Works Department
504-565-6844

Park & Parkway Department
504-286-2100

Sewerage & Water Board
504-585-2000

Hurricane Evacuation Shelter Coordinator
504-565-7208

Human Relations Commission
504-565-7916

Emergency Numbers

Southeast La. Red Cross
504-587-1500

New Orleans Public Advocacy
504-565-7115

New Orleans Human Relations Commission
504-565-7918

New Orleans Council on Aging
504-821-4121

American Red Cross
1-888-737-1997

Mississippi

Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (601-352-9100); 24 hour emergency line (800-222-MEMA or 800-222-6362)
Mississippi Homeland Security (601-346-1499) http://www.homelandsecurity.ms.gov/
Next of kin

American Red Cross (866-438-4636 or 1-866-GET-INFO)

danalec99 said:
On another note, I fail to understand what goes through the minds of those looters. :x

I absolutely can understand. Here I am, I just lost my house, possibly my family, it's 90 F outside, I'm wading through 4 ft. of nasty garbage/sewage water, there's a dead guy floating to my left, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty...I don't have anything left in the world....it's much easier to adhere to your principles if they're not challenged. Not saying I'd loot by any means (unless food and water), but I think it's the "what the hell, i have nothing to lose, they owe me now" attitude.

Unless they had a good reason not to leave, not a fan of people staying there either...why risk rescuers lives (and others i.e. wheelchair bound folks) when you could've left on your own power a week ago?

very sad and difficult situation. not sure what foreign aid will do at the moment, but i guess anything helps.

Most reactions

Back