Katrina--(from MD-->)PLEASE DONATE

Just some Canadian input ... Katrina is all over the news in pretty much every province here (as far as I can tell from the satellite anyways) and there are many calls being given out to assist with cash donations to the Red Cross as well as the Salvation Army and other societies which are assisting ...

This isn't about the US or George Bush and the people who donate won't be doing so to help the US specifically or with any kind of allegiance that way for the most part (IMO) .. it's about the people who are suffering there ... the families, the children, the homeless, the missing and everyone else adversely affected by it ...

It all comes down to being human and the ability to feel and be sympathetic, empathetic and compassionate.

Again just my $0.02

These people are in my thoughts :hug::

I wasnt trying to make that point...I just wonder what help would be given to other countries, but you are right errant star, these are PEOPLE, not a governement...
I hope that enough money is given...

errant_star said:
Just some Canadian input ... Katrina is all over the news in pretty much every province here (as far as I can tell from the satellite anyways) and there are many calls being given out to assist with cash donations to the Red Cross as well as the Salvation Army and other societies which are assisting ...

This isn't about the US or George Bush and the people who donate won't be doing so to help the US specifically or with any kind of allegiance that way for the most part (IMO) .. it's about the people who are suffering there ... the families, the children, the homeless, the missing and everyone else adversely affected by it ...

It all comes down to being human and the ability to feel and be sympathetic, empathetic and compassionate.

Again just my $0.02

These people are in my thoughts :hug::

Hit the nail on the head errant

Maybe we could set up a TPF donation fund and send it all in to great relief funds, such as The Red Cross and Noah's Wish etc .....?

We could hold an auction perhaps ? Those who want to donate a print ( or a few prints ) of their own will sell to the highest bidder and donate the money to this fund ?

Just a thought.....

Luminosity said:
Maybe we could set up a TPF donation fund and send it all in to great relief funds, such as The Red Cross and Noah's Wish etc .....?

We could hold an auction perhaps ? Those who want to donate a print ( or a few prints ) of their own will sell to the highest bidder and donate the money to this fund ?

Just a thought.....

Excellent idea lumi!

The US helps a lot of other nations out in their time of need, no doubt (and turns a blind eye to others occasionally...). However, I remember it being a few days before our president acknowledged the tsunami. I think patience might be a good word here...

terri said:
It's one thing to say the word "chaos". It probably makes your brain shut down on some level when you're actually living it. Your most basic survival instincts somehow kick in. There's no telling what any of us might do when confronted with these horrific circumstances. It just makes us feel good to envision ourselves helping to dole out water, while we sit here in our air conditioned offices.

I agree...I've been glued to the news whenever I've had a chance and it's very interesting to see the reporters even coping. For instance if you watched Anderson Cooper from when he first arrived and today there is a huge difference. Just being there with people coming up to the media constantly must be overwhelming, and then not being able to help in a way that they most need it, being yelled at for there not being supplies...it's affecting everyone...

I do agree that International Aid is definitely needed...but even with that we still don't seem to have things organized here enough...there should be a way to get supplies into places where there isn't as much flooding....but it seems that the gov or whomever didn't expect this to be such a disaster...they've none for years that the levy's in NO couldn't withstand a 5 hurricane, but nothing was done...

Sorry don't mean to sound negative here, just expressing thoughts...my University is actually planning a trip down there for sometime in Jan when hopefully they will be able to be of use...in the meantime they're taking donations, and praying for everyone there...that's the best we know to do.

First i wish to say i am not trying to agrue or start a side debate. These are just observations that i have noticed.
There are places in that city that is not underwater. If i lived there i would expect and demand that my local elected officials were at least in town. Cooridating all efforts at trying to help/rebuild. Not plaster their faces on every news station they can to get some publicity, the situation and reporters speak volumes over what they can say on tv. They would have to be retarded or corrupt to not to at least prepare for this contingency.
As of last night there is still no one in local government bringing at least fresh water to victims, the police litterally threw their hands up at looters. (again not food looters but thugs stealing Nikes and guns) and now you heard they are sniping Superdome survivors... My heart pours out more then you can imagine for the "victims" of this disaster, i am just pointing out that the cities government did not prepare in any way. No water/food stored, no vehicles that can function in water, nothing what so ever was done except an advisory to get out of the city 2 days before. For people that have been there its quickly understood that a good number of people have no means of escape. This is one of the poorest cities in the country.
Remember last year around this time, there was a huge hurricane scare in NOLA, it missed them that time and they got lucky, but that was a wakeup call as to what could and would eventually happen there. You are right in saying that you can not possibly prepare for every contingency that happens on this scale, but nothing was done. Even now the bulk of the rescue efforts are from charitable and federal organizations (Coast Guard Red Cross Fema etc). Again i just want people to understand that there are 2 trageties here, the hurricane and the lack of leadership in the wake of it.

That being said, please donate what you can to organizations that are part of the solution Red Cross is always in the thick of it, But there are many smaller charities that are very good at what they do and they have almost no overhead, which means every dollar you contribute actually goes towards help. Here is another suggestion if you wanna know where to donate. BTW 96% of your donation actually gets to victims, I firmly believe that these people are the best of us, i have yet to find another charity that can match that...

http://www.nwmedicalteams.org/

Worse place on earth than NO? How about Somalia? Not that this is anything to be debating, however.

Hopefully, if nothing else, this tragedy will shed a harsh light on the lack of resources provided for emergency planning, especially for those living in poverty. For years, it has been known that NO was a tragedy waiting to happen, and it seems little was done. In fact, funds were cut even though a hurricane hitting NO was determined to be one of the top three potential catastrophes facing the US. For the richest country on earth to not put money and research into protecting millions of lives is beyond my comprehension. For the richest country on earth to instead spend millions on tax breaks for billion-dollar corporations sickens and embarrasses me. Yes, it is easy to criticize from this viewpoint, but perhaps sharp criticism is needed to save lives next time. So be it.

I'd like to know why a massive evacuation by bus was not done early on So many people who had no means of evacuating on their own could have been helped to safety before the storm hit. Logistical nightmare? Of course. But the human cost could have been reduced.

I'm sorry to be so angry, but I'm pissed. My sympathy has turned to anger, and I am working on turning my anger back into sympathy.

To repeat what others have already said, the best way to help is to donate to the Red Cross and other groups. Even $10--the cost of a few beers at the pub--will help. Give up smoking for the week, do whatever you can to spare even just a few dollars.

Peace, brothers and sisters. Let your loved ones know how much you care for them tonight, and don't forget about those in need within all our communities.

MM

Scott WRG Editor said:
It is a shame, whenever there is a natural disaster elsewhere in the world the US dumps money and resources into the area. Nearly a week after the hurricane I cannot find a single mention of International aid. If this is indeed true then we need to remember this next time a disaster strikes overseas. Someone please point out stories of international aid if you find them.

Help was offered by over 20 countries, NATO and the UN, but has not been requested/accepted by the US. I have read in a German paper this morning, that Bush said in an interview, that they can handle the tragedy by themselfs.

People all over the world are donating, be assured we want and we do help.

i heard this morning that the City of DC is sending down metro buses to bring back up to 400 that need aid. they will be housed temporaily in an armory and may eventually become residents here. this disaster is surely changing a lot of lives...many left with nothing...picking up the pieces in a strange environment...i consider myself extremely fortunate lately...take too much for granted.

JonMikal said:
...i consider myself extremely fortunate lately...take too much for granted.

Now, THERE'S a big club. I find that I have to fight off guilt when I eat lunch.

I'm even wondering why I'm still here. I could be in Mississippi or Louisiana in about 18 hours. I actully believe I might be able to save one life. So I'm truly starting to wonder if I should go or not.

From my understanding they are not letting people into the city. If you wanted to go you wouldn't be able to get into NOLA to help unless you arrive with an organization.

THanks but hold your ground C PHOTO. The military are not really letting anyone whose is not directly linked to family or a large relief effort to enter the areas. They are trying to still get a hold of the situation. I have several students struggling to get water and gasoline just several hours south of Oxford, MS. I hope they can make it...I have two driving all the way to the coast to get to their families and maybe bring them out of there and into Oxford. It's a mess and it's only getting messier. Even the supplies in OXford are being devoured and either horded or taken south. If you guys really want to help contact redcross and DONATE!!

I just heard that Bell South's main hubs are in NO and that their servers are overheating and starting to fail...thus if this happens the southeast of the US will be with out phones and ATM machines. Tech are trying to get in and fix the situation. Everyone keep your fingers crossed!!

Most reactions

Back