Keeping photos alive in the dull season?

Solacedescent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So fall is almost on it's way out and everything is starting to look dead, and dull. So I was wondering if any of you had a few tips on how to keep photos looking great and alive during this period while I wait for the snow to arrive. I do mostly portrait work and will be shooting a couple soon.

Don't shoot photos of dead things unless you can make "dead" look interesting. Which a lot of photographers can do.

I'm not sure what advice you are looking for as photography is a function of seeing what is in front of you and finding the most interesting aspects of that thing or that moment. The forum has a monthly series of entries which will track those brown months against the brightly colored months. Go back to look at what sort of photos others were taking in the dead of winter in previous years.

TPF Photo of the Month | Photography Forum

I would guess anyone asking for portrait work in the winter would realize they are unlikely to be surrounded by flowers and trees full of leaves. There are evergreens though if you simply feel this is what you want in your winter image. And cool season flowers exist in most of the US. But no one is likely to be wearing summer clothes so there's still that give away.

Move your shots to locations which do not change so much over the seasons. Buildings, cities, zoos, some parks, working farms and ranches (if that suits your taste), etc offer very similar views every month of the year if you are not too concerned about the angle of the sun and the quality of light which suggests winter vs summer.

Basically, it comes down to seeing what's there and knowing how to show only those parts which are of value to your image.

Putting your location in your profile would help us give you the kind of advice you want.

Make B&W photos.
Apparently you don't use a studio to do your portrait work?

Have the couple wear colorful clothing.
In portraits they are the main subject after all and separating portrait subjects from the background in a variety of ways is a common goal of portraiture.

Using strobed light on the couple you could put a CTO gel on the flash unit and set your white balance to Tungsten/Incandescent.
Your subjects will still look like they were lit by a flash of white light, but the background ambient light will have a nice cool slight blue tint.
Your subjects will look 'warmer' and really 'pop' or be separate from the background.

Some really great advice in this thread so far!

I feel your pain. Betwwen frequent snow and bout with alcholism winters in Maine can be rough for photoing.

That I said I do try to get out after fresh storms, shoot sports or do fun indoor shooting.

pop1 by runnah555, on Flickr

When the outdoors is cooperating with you, go ahead and use it. But don't rely on it.

Take control instead. Set up a studio indoors, and make any environment you like, any time you like, day or night, regardless of the weather or season outside.

Yep a studio not only gives you complete control over lighting, you can't be prevented from shooting by weather.

So fall is almost on it's way out and everything is starting to look dead, and dull. So I was wondering if any of you had a few tips on how to keep photos looking great and alive during this period while I wait for the snow to arrive. I do mostly portrait work and will be shooting a couple soon.

fall is on the way out?
fall has just started here and things look alive !

Most reactions

Back