www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

So I see a camera on KEH for 1/2 the price of B&H

Camera on KEH is bargaingrade

Camera on B&H is excellent.

What am I getting / sacrificing?

If bargain grade means getting a scratched up lens, it's not worth it, but a couple dings in the camera would be alright so long as no effect to image quality...

Just looking to hear about others experiences...

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, I purchased several items from KEH. I can tell you that they are very conservative when rating there gear. Bgn usually means exterior signs of wear. I have purchased Bgn grade from them (300mm f4) and it works flawlessly. It does show signs of use. Sorry if that doesnt help. You will just have to decide if paying full price for the better conditioned one is better for you.

How they define Bgn
BGN "Bargain" 70-79% of original condition. Shows more than average wear. May have dents, dings and/or brassing and finish loss. Glass may have marks and/or blemishes that should not affect picture quality*.

Last edited:
The KEH guys are very friendly and fare people with good equipment. They
especially inspect lenses carefully before buying (I know this from personal
experience) and they don't pass off scratched-up lenses or knowingly sell
equipment with functional problems. They also accept returns.

Although I've never purchased from them, apparently they are the Chryslar of the Big Three.

I wouldn't have any worries about them.

Another outfit that I have used is Photo4less.com. They're worth a look. I've bought my D700 and a couple of lenses from them.

Hi,
So I see a camera on KEH for 1/2 the price of B&H
Camera on KEH is bargaingrade
Camera on B&H is excellent.
What am I getting / sacrificing?

KEH has a great reputation. Their site says, "'Bargain' 70-79% of original condition. Shows more than average wear. May have dents, dings and/or brassing and finish loss. Glass may have marks and/or blemishes that should not affect picture quality*.
* Glass Disclaimer - Occasionally, lenses, even brand new, will have a slight amount of dust visible within the lens elements. This is a result of the manufacturing process and will not affect image quality or resolution. As a result, some used lenses may exhibit the same consistencies.

I don't think an item that's excellent in one store can be compared apples-to-apples with one that's bargain grade at another. YMMV.

If they handle returns well, why don't you buy from KEH, & then return it if it isn't up to your standards.. And buy from B&H

If they handle returns well, why don't you buy from KEH, & then return it if it isn't up to your standards.. And buy from B&H

Yeah I think I'm going to go with KEH. I just want to get a 'blad for fun so if it's got some scratches or dents I don't really care... I just want to try taking some nice medium format picturess.... And I wanted to see if I would get a lot for the extra money...

Ok so here's a question....should I just buy a complete kit with the 80 lens for the hasselblad, or should I try assembling my own w/ viewfinder / lens / etc

Ok so here's a question....should I just buy a complete kit with the 80 lens for the hasselblad, or should I try assembling my own w/ viewfinder / lens / etc

I say aim for a kit kit that has what you want. Last time I tried to assemble bit by bit, the body went out of stock. I ended up receiving a package full of parts that I couldn't use. Never received notification before it shipped as the confirmation e-mail stated.

I've bought a few items from KEH (cameras and lenses) and have been more than satisfied with all of them. I got some used stuff from B&H and was more than satisfied too.. I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly..

I found out about KEH after I got my camera and regretted it. Even though I got a good deal on ebay, I wasn't sure if the camera was in good condition, so I ended up sending it to KEH to have them overhaul it. In the end, I spent a lot more and I would have if I just got one from KEH.

The service is excellent. I lived in Atlanta at that time so I just dropped the camera off in person. They have a team of staff to make sure that all equipment performs to factory spec. I will not think twice about going to them for service or to shop for items.

I did buy a camera user manual and a neck strap from them. No complain.

B&H is a marvelous store. I guarantee if you ever had the chance to actually go there you would think its the most amazing place ever. I've been going there since I was a kid when my pop would bring me. The overhead pulleys and roller systems are still there today. It's a well oiled machine. Great used stuff and everyone almost everyone that works there knows what they're talking about.

Most reactions

Back