Ken Rockwell. I should have known better. please read.

pthrift

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Soooooo.....

This makes the second time I've messed myself up by putting too much trust in Ken Rockwell and his info.

My original mistake was when I first got my DSLR, I only had it maybe a week before going on vacation. I googled as much as I could to get tips and info and such, and came across who seemed to be a wealth of great info. Mr K.R. himself. So he recommended that I should just shoot JPG since I would never be able to tell a difference between that and a raw file and I'd have a lot more room on the memory card to be able to take more shots while gone. sounded at the time like the greatest idea ever, and I was absolutely thinking this guy is a savior.

Then I got home and started using photoshop and etc, and although it took some time, I eventually realized my mistake when it came time to edit a lot of these photos taken all in full auto. #regret. #lesson learned.

Fast foward to a month ago, I score a super deal on a Nikon d7000 (...$618 brand new at best buy. found it laying in the bottom corner of the display shelf.)

Again I google and am looking into the new menu settings and such, and I find KR.com again, and he says I can use his U1 and U2 settings by downloading the file and saving it to my camera. Now he gave the discalimer that I needed to go thru and delete his info from the copyright info in the camera and such, which I *thought* I did. Come to find out in my noob-ness to the camera that I missed one of the locations he saved a "copyright of KR" and its embedded in some of my EXIF data.

Is there a way to remove/replace this sort of stuff?

I've fixed the camera from this point and am now taking my own photos but I have probably 100 or so images that appear to be taken by someone else if you check the exif data..

thanks in advance

oh, well now I'm a fool x3. twice for listening to KR, and once for not having the forethought to google this myself.

There are a few out there, but I haven't used any of them. So I can't recommend any of them.

Eh thats fine. I'll figure it out. I guess I had in mind to do it via photoshop or camera raw or etc

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4; probably while slacking off at work

I think I heard once that just using Windows Explorer will work on some of the basic stuff. Right-click file, Properties, Detail tab.

Never listen to Ken Rockwell. Sharpness? Not important, amateur stuff! Jpeg? Yes, if you spend more than 15 seconds editing a photo you're a chump, take a look I made $5000 off of this photo and it was Jpeg, proof! Mhmm, the 24-300 is vastly superior to the 70-300 due to the convenience factor.

He has some really good points *sometimes*. If you get caught up in just one of his many misleading tidbits of misinformation, you, your bank account, and your images will suffer.

Does the EXIF editor fix only the photos, or does it fix the settings in the camera?

I've contemplating of downloading his stuff in the past too. Glad I never did.

KR is not 'one man who is always wrong'......

KR is one man with his own opinions.

Does the EXIF editor fix only the photos, or does it fix the settings in the camera?

Only files on your PC.

The camera settings are easy to fix, as is removing all his info. I just missed some of it stowed away in a comments section.

KR is not 'one man who is always wrong'......

KR is one man with his own opinions.
This is true, and he takes a lot of heat for having his own opinions.

But apparently they work for him, as he (appears) to be very successful at what he does

Ken's opinions are his own....and he "owns" them!!! His stuff is a mix of sincere, good, solid advice, at one end, and deliberately controversial, and even idiotic snark, on the other end. His pieve on "the Leica man" was absolutely HILARIOUS!!!! He nailed the smugger-than-thou, price-is-not-a-concern, I must always have the best nature of the Leicaphile in that one...oh my, what a doozy! The early digital era Ken Rockwell was sooooooooo full of chit it was...ridiculous! he failed to switch to digital for several years, when the entire world was moving to it, and his advice from that era was utterly idiotic when it related to how to make digital pictures. Eventually, he dropped his obsession with film and his loathing of digital, and went ALL-digital, but has since gone back to film, and he dropped his Nikon-only prejudices and is multi-brand now (Canon, Fuji,Leica,Nikon, iPhone). He's a fun read for me, because I can separate the wheat from the chaff on my own, but for beginners and intermediate shooters, following his advice without doing research is I think, very dicey.I find his writings to be entertaining and amusing much of the time.

Ken's opinions are his own....and he "owns" them!!! His stuff is a mix of sincere, good, solid advice, at one end, and deliberately controversial, and even idiotic snark, on the other end. His pieve on "the Leica man" was absolutely HILARIOUS!!!! He nailed the smugger-than-thou, price-is-not-a-concern, I must always have the best nature of the Leicaphile in that one...oh my, what a doozy! The early digital era Ken Rockwell was sooooooooo full of chit it was...ridiculous! he failed to switch to digital for several years, when the entire world was moving to it, and his advice from that era was utterly idiotic when it related to how to make digital pictures. Eventually, he dropped his obsession with film and his loathing of digital, and went ALL-digital, but has since gone back to film, and he dropped his Nikon-only prejudices and is multi-brand now (Canon, Fuji,Leica,Nikon, iPhone). He's a fun read for me, because I can separate the wheat from the chaff on my own, but for beginners and intermediate shooters, following his advice without doing research is I think, very dicey.I find his writings to be entertaining and amusing much of the time.
I've noticed that he seems to have gotten away from nikon only, I was looking into a sigma lens and happened to see he had a review. My memory said he hated all non - nikon lenses so I was thinking I was in for some good bashing; but I was surprised to see he seemed to think it was a good value priced lens; so long as you understood the inherent limits (I was looking into the sigma 150-500)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back