Kid C&C

amym79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering what someone else would do to correct or enhance this pic? I want all technical errors please :blushing:

Taylor8-1.jpg

First of all, it's a very lovely shot. :)

Lighting angle could be a problem. Generally 45 degree lighting angle can produce perfect effect on portrait photos.

First, let us know what direction or style you were after, so we can narrow the comments.
Also, what was your setup?

Cute kid and very nice smile, btw!

There's not a lot of enhancing that can be done, but some thoughts for future shots. First thing is to get your focus right. Almost without exception in portraiture, the eyes should be the point of sharpest focus. This whol image appears slightly soft. Next is to get your flash off of the camera. Think of your built-in flash as a decoration and something that should only be used to trigger other lights. As mentioned, having the light off-axis is beneficial. I would suggest an angle more like 30 degrees and slightly above.

Now, since you may not have an off-camera flash, you can actually do some nice work with your pop-up flash, but you have to soften the light. Notice the hard shadow from her hchin forming around her clavicle? Using a modifier, even something as simple as a piece of tissue paper draped over the flash would have helped immensely.

Also think about composition. Most portraits are best with the lens at eye-level rather looking up or down at the subject.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thank you :)

Well the lighting was crappy because I only had one very cheap umbrella light to use and I was in a room that had no natural light either. I know I need to learn everything about lighting so all comments are very welcomed :)

I guess it was just sort of a headshot shot/beauty portrait! I really like those :)

This was not shot with an umbrella... or if it was, it was a long way away, which is also unlikely because the falloff appears to be pretty fast. Look at the definition of the shadow transition on the neck, and the catchlight in the eye. Maybe I misunderstood you but you said you had a 'very cheap umbrella'.

I do have a very cheap umbrella and i also used the flash on the camera. This was when i got first got the lights and didnt know what to do with them obviously! LOL

I do have a very cheap umbrella and i also used the flash on the camera. This was when i got first got the lights and didnt know what to do with them obviously! LOL

What strobe/flash were you using with the umbrella?

Thank you :)

Well the lighting was crappy because I only had one very cheap umbrella light to use and I was in a room that had no natural light either. I know I need to learn everything about lighting so all comments are very welcomed :)

I guess it was just sort of a headshot shot/beauty portrait! I really like those :)
Please, don't ask for C&C, and then make excuses.

Taken with one cheap crappy umbrella...

DSC_7831-2ww by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

I differences are: I focused. I got down on my subjects level. I used a shutter speed fast enough to freeze any motion (your shutter was 1/60 which is barely fast enough, shoot at minimum 1/125sec for people)

Don't get discouraged. Try again.

p!nK

I wasnt trying to make excuses. I did say I needed to learn everything about using light! I was hoping to get some pointers and suggestions on how to use light the CORRECT way :) Thanks for the warm welcome though!

Mr. Pink - thank you :) I will definitely use a faster shutter speed.

Most reactions

Back