Joshb619
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- Sep 7, 2011
- Messages
- 11
- Reaction score
- 0
- Location
- Philly
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos NOT OK to edit
Just keep you kit lens and save up $100 for a 50mm 1.8 lens. To have both will be great, because I shoot on a T2i, and you shoot on a 60D, and we both have crop sensors. You will notice that with the 50mm you get a bit more crop/ distance than you might expect. Although, you are used to shooting with a 55-135 so it wont be too bad. All I can say, is that the 50mm 1.8 is an incredibly sharp piece of glass. It has a really junky build, a very junky sounding auto focus, but if you get in real close and manual focus you will get some stunningly sharp results. My favorite portrait I have ever taken was on my 50mm 1.8 here:

This was taken during my trip to India, and I was in a very low light situation, I had to set the ISO to 800 (no flash), and had it open to 1.8. You can notice some grain in the background, but overall I am proud of this image and I like how sharp it came out. This photo is unedited, not color corrected, and is the RAW image file just to give the example. But for anything, having your kit lens to get a little extra zoom is great for those long-distance situation. But having a 50mm for portraits is also great. You will be amazed how a little plastic toy lens can take your shots to the next level! Good luck on your decision! but seriously, just buy the $100 lens...

This was taken during my trip to India, and I was in a very low light situation, I had to set the ISO to 800 (no flash), and had it open to 1.8. You can notice some grain in the background, but overall I am proud of this image and I like how sharp it came out. This photo is unedited, not color corrected, and is the RAW image file just to give the example. But for anything, having your kit lens to get a little extra zoom is great for those long-distance situation. But having a 50mm for portraits is also great. You will be amazed how a little plastic toy lens can take your shots to the next level! Good luck on your decision! but seriously, just buy the $100 lens...