Klingbergfleet in Hamburg

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
"Fleet" is the North German word for a ditch that served (some still do) the draining of a place. It is derived from the Low German word "fleeten" (High German: "fließen") = to flow.
The best known "Fleete" are in Hamburg. The backs of the houses alongside the Hamburg Fleete point towards the water, the front to the street. The "Fleete" also served the distribution of goods that arrived on large vessels in Hamburg Port, were then unloaded and reloaded into much flatter and smaller boats to be brought to their respective destinations in town. Unlike canals, the "Fleete" follow the tidal movement of the water. So a "Fleet" is an artifical and FLOWING water, while a canal is an artificial STANDING water. (My humble translation after the article on "Fleet" in www.wikipedia.org).

128758466.jpg

- Leica -

128758462.jpg

- Leica -
(I took the upper one from the bridge you can see in this pic here, and I also took these here [http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41521] from that very bridge)

128758445.jpg

As you can see, I was not blessed with the loveliest of weathers when I went on my excursion into Hamburg last Friday, it was not only cold and grey, but even foggy ... but you can still make out Chile-House in the background, if you have looked at my Chile-House photos carefully ;).

:scratch:
All bad? Boring? Tell me.

Not really since the house beside me is owned by a German couple from Solange (not sure if I spelled that right they make knives and such there) They come here every year but I fear that this will be their last year for health reasons. They have invited my wife and I to go visit them many times and if it wasn't for our dogs I think I would go. Love the history lesson and the pictues.--lenny

Thanks so much, Lenny.
"Solingen" is the name of the place your neighbours come from.
A pity you could never go visit that area. It is quite nice there. Not quite as flat as up here in the north.

But I am beginning to feel a little discouraged to post any more photos from my photographical excursions...

I enjoy your posts, I find them to be most intresting, the composure seems slightly plain (its difficult to photograph large subjescts) but the subject is always outstanding. Please continue posting your excursion pictures.

ps im new to this photography stuff so dont read to much into my opinion.

LaFoto said:
But I am beginning to feel a little discouraged to post any more photos from my photographical excursions...
NO...NO...NO!!!! Don't stop posting!
Kind of awkward, not sure what to say here :scratch: I hope you never stop posting photos. You regularly post beautiful images. I know I am not the only one that enjoys viewing them!

I'll be honest, I find this particular set of photos boring. There is no real focal point. Either the building themselves or the ice itself, I think would have been a good subject, but right now they're fighting for attention. Normally, if I don't find a shot/set of shots particularly interesting, I just don't post. I don't think you need to hear me say that? That doesn't mean that I don't like the shots, or that you didn't do the best with the conditions you were provided, I just think that you would rather hear compliments from those that do find them interesting?

I hope that doesn't sound mean, because I do enjoy your shots Corinna. Even though I don't find these very interesting, I still enjoyed viewing them. We do not have buildings or areas like this. And without your photos, I would have never viewed this area. I guess I could have made a comment along those lines...right?

No worries ever, Jake, about telling me which photos are boring and which ones are not. I feared these might be. Only had I personally never seen such an amount of ice on the "Fleete" myself, so I tried to capture that with a bit of context, for the "Fleete" just belong to these red brick buildings as ships belong into water. See?

But it is important to me to also hear which photos don't have any great impact. I feared these might not have it.

I get the FEELING that something's not quite so right about my photos when there are no replies, and that feeling is not so good because I KNOW that many here much rather don't say anything before they say something not-quite-so-nice. But it is better to be told even the "not-quite-so-nice" things than nothing at all, see?

So you would like to see some other "urban impressions" from my trip?
Right then. I might feel encouraged to post again now ;).

Corinna, you mustn't stop posting your photographs, please? I enjoy looking at them, and I especially enjoy the lessons that come with them. I'll try to reply more often in future, if that will encourage you to carry on?

The buildings and Ice are amazing, I'm real happy to get to see parts of the world from all of the wonderful people here that live all over the planet.

Most reactions

Back