Know Your Audience

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd think this would be a subheading under intention.

When you imagine someone looking at your photo(s), who do you see?

- How well do you know who you shoot for?

I have no audience. In a lot of ways that's pretty limiting, in that it offers no guidelines. My family does not care, in the sense that they have no specific opinion about photography or creative efforts in general. I have no friends that are into photography.

Are we talking about portraits or any image?

I have no audience. In a lot of ways that's pretty limiting, in that it offers no guidelines. My family does not care, in the sense that they have no specific opinion about photography or creative efforts in general. I have no friends that are into photography.

Pretty much agree, though for me that's ultimate freedom as opposed to limitation. I shoot landscapes and sometimes wildlife - completely for myself. It's a completely self-indulgent activity for me, photography. No one tells me what to do, I shoot what I want, how I want, when I want, and I show it to most of my friends, who on the whole like it. It's a chance for me to create art and express creativity, and that's why I love it. Of course, this would change if I ever start accepting paid work, but for now at least, this is how it is.

Pretty much agree, though for me that's ultimate freedom as opposed to limitation. I shoot landscapes and sometimes wildlife - completely for myself. It's a completely self-indulgent activity for me, photography. No one tells me what to do, I shoot what I want, how I want, when I want, and I show it to most of my friends, who on the whole like it. It's a chance for me to create art and express creativity, and that's why I love it. Of course, this would change if I ever start accepting paid work, but for now at least, this is how it is.

^^ ditto :)

Um…I thought that when one creates we do it from our perspective in the hope others will love it. Are we to shoot for an audience…? If it’s a job I understand but … Are we willing to create just for the sake of others not ourselves.:confused:

Um…I thought that when one creates we do it from our perspective in the hope others will love it. Are we to shoot for an audience…? If it’s a job I understand but … Are we willing to create just for the sake of others not ourselves.:confused:
No shoot what you want. I come from a family of shutterbugs on one side of the family. If they like what I shoot great, if they dont ahhh! Most people I know like my stuff so, it isnt a problem. I shoot mostly landscapes and wildlife anymore. But I will occassionally shoot portraits if asked.

I think it depends. I shoot a lot with the intent to share the photos, share the experience, and share the beauty. Just as writers often write for some of the same reasons. And following that analogy if the writing style is too amateurish or presented in an uninteresting way then the people it's shared with won't get the full affect of the effort. A writer may keep a private journal that others may or may not find interesting (like the basis for the TV series "The Walton Family" and preceding movie "The Homecoming" for example) where style and presentation are less important.

Both (as well as others) exist so I think it depends on the intent once again.

I think it depends. I shoot a lot with the intent to share the photos, share the experience, and share the beauty.

I understand that you might want to share that with others. But could you honestly put your name next to something you the creator doesn't love? Just to please your audience.

I started out shooting for myself; photography fit well with other interests such as hiking and live music. It was fun, and I liked both the creative and documentary aspects. I rarely considered other viewers than myself.

Now I shoot with an awareness that there is audience. How much consideration I give to those viewers depends on the photo, the use, the relationship, the contract, etc... I take photos of my kids for myself, and I take ones that aren't really my flavor, but I know the grandparents will love. When I'm working with landscapes I mostly look and work for myself and my own vision, but if I see a scene that doesn't really excite me, but might have some commercial or general public appeal I go for it. When I shoot for paying clients I want to know what they want. The more input the better, imo, although most just give me the barebones info and tell me to do my own thing. When I'm doing volunteer work I consider the needs of the intended use and audience, but I tend to go mostly with my taste in mind.

I understand that you might want to share that with others. But could you honestly put your name next to something you the creator doesn't love? Just to please your audience.

I can. I used to cook for a living, and still cook for family and friends. I can create dishes that I'm not so fond of for others, and if they enjoy it I'm pleased.

Art seems similar to me. I do it mostly for myself, but it's fun and sometimes profitable to do for others too. My photos that hang on my walls at home are not my best sellers. I think my most popular photos are too predictable. But some folks like that on their walls at home.

I shoot just for me now and shoot whatever I feel. I dont share my images like I used to on the forums, and mostly keep almost all my stuff to myself now.

Well, it's a false assumption to assume that one would create and then share what they do not also love or appreciate themselves. I'm also not saying that it's just to please an audience.

If it's just to please the audience and the creator doesn't also like or appreciate it then the interaction between them would in all likelihood fail.

Picture an actor who liked to only stand on stage and look at the audience for an hour. He's doing ONLY what HE likes. Or the same thing in reverse - The audience wants to see him jump onto his head from a 5 foot ladder. If he does only what THEY want the show is over pretty soon or he'll stop doing the shows after awhile.

I thought this was obvious. No?

I agree with the others. I just like to take photos and try to get them the best I can (which I think is always improving, even if slowly). If other people also like them, it makes me feel good. But I don't take photos for any specific people.

Of course, I also don't sell them so I guess bleh.

Most reactions

Back