What's new

KW Praktina FX -my latest 35mm SLR

An interesting feature of this camera is that it has both TTL viewing (like any SLR) plus a separate viewfinder.

This separate viewfinder idea was used by Alpha as well, and at least one other company (name escapes me) on their early SLRs.

I had the opportunity to look at a KW Praktica FX with a Primoplan lens yesterday and the difference in quality was noticeable - I'm not saying it was badly made, just lighter an less precise, I decided against buying it in favour of this camera because of the Biotar.

Ian
 
That's Alpa, not Alpha. :)

My mistake, I should know better :D I worked with a consultant in the mid 1970's who was an adviser to Alpa and Elincrom in Switzerland, both companies were then based in the same former British pre-WWII TB clinic. Tim himself was a grandson of the Lumiere family so had very deep photographic roots.

It's nagging me that I can't think of the third company to use the extra direct finder on an SLR, but there were so many very short lived camera manufacturers. I have a book on Miniature cameras, I think by H.S. Newcombe who wrote for a UK photo magazine but was also a retailer and it's amazing how many companies made full systems and just disappeared as rapidly as they'd appeared. Futura for instance.

Ian
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom