"L" from canon is the equivilant of what for Nikon lenses?

usually the 2.8's and faster have the better pro glass and build quality

Counterpoints: Pro slow lenses:
Nikkor AF-S 12-24 f/4
MicroNikkor AF 200mm f/4
Canon 17-40mm f/4 L
Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Counterpoints: Very average performing f/2.8 lenses:
Sigma AF 18-55mm f/2.8

Extreme example. But I am sure there are plenty more of companies who make wide aperture glass just for wide aperture's sake without even remotely claiming it to be for the pro market, and the opposite some slow fantastic quality professional lenses also exist.

The 50mm f/1.4 was released in 1995.
Just to confuse the Canonites even more, the above quote referred to AF glass. I have a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S that dates back to the 1960's, and a 55mm f/1.2 Nikkor from the late 1960's, both very much pro lenses. My 50mm f/1.4 AI-S is from 1978 and would be considered a pro lens. The Gold ring is a new designation with Nikon, but by no means designates the only pro glass by Nikon/Nikkor. When you pick up and use a pro class lens, you don't really need a label to let you know it's quality. The "L": designation is simple marketing, something that Canon has done better than Nikon. As a self described Nikon snob, I prefer to believe Nikon spends it's time making great cameras and lenses, the other guys spend there time talking about what they do. :) (boy, that ought to start something) :lmao:

As a self described Nikon snob, I prefer to believe Nikon spends it's time making great cameras and lenses, the other guys spend there time talking about what they do. :) (boy, that ought to start something) :lmao:

Did I tell you I am not listening/reading? :er:

:lmao:

then, strictly speaking, ED is the equivalent of L ...

L and ED are not the same.

L stands for luxury.
The L line includes (USUALLY)
fluorite or Low Dispersion glass (forget their name for it) or both
USM
Full time manual focus
weather sealing
white body

Now I said usually. There's probably at least one exception to every rule there.

But for the most part...

It's easy to know which lenses are good in Canon's lineup. Now granted, there are outstanding lenses that are not L...but I wouldn't say there are too many Ls that suck.

Nikon on the other hand...It's nearly impossible to tell by the name whether it's pro quality or not.

Most reactions

Back