"L" from canon is the equivilant of what for Nikon lenses?

L = Low dispersion glass elements I think.

Everything else, such as weather sealing built quality and such do not realle relate to the L.

so there must be an equivalent with Nikon.

I thought that the "L" stood for luxury, a better line of Canon lenses. They have a red ring around them and are better quality lenses than the regular Canon ones, better optics and build. I don't think that Nikon really uses any letters or abbreviations to distinguish from their higher-grade lenses, but I may be wrong, usually you just look at the price tag

I thought that the "L" stood for luxury, a better line of Canon lenses. They have a red ring around them and are better quality lenses than the regular Canon ones, better optics and build.

yes thats true...and the guy in the first reply is right too.....but im saying what is the "Luxury" or Nikon's lenses? do they have a line of 'better quality lenses'?

Nikon's Pro lenses don't have a single marking. ED stands for "Extra Low Dispersion" lens elements. All Pro lenses are ED but not all ED lenses are Pro. For example the 70-300 has ED elements in it, but it's not a Pro grade lens. If you are a Nikon shooter, you learn what glass is pro grade and what is not. It's good some pro-sumer glass has pro features without the pro price.

Nikon's Pro lenses don't have a single marking. ED stands for "Extra Low Dispersion" lens elements. All Pro lenses are ED but not all ED lenses are Pro. For example the 70-300 has ED elements in it, but it's not a Pro grade lens. If you are a Nikon shooter, you learn what glass is pro grade and what is not. It's good some pro-sumer glass has pro features without the pro price.

then, strictly speaking, ED is the equivalent of L ...

I know that Nikon's 'Pro' lenses are distinguishable by a gold ring, similar to the red ring of Canon 'L' lenses. And yeah, all pro lenses are ED lenses, but not all ED are pro.

just look at prices to figure that out. If its more than you would want to spend on a lens, its probably pro. Thats what i do ;-)

Generally if it is an f2.8 or an f1.4 it's top of the line.

Nikon doesn't seem all that interested in dissing their Non-Pro shooters that can't afford the fastest glass by making it obvious that you have the next step down.

Generally if it is an f2.8 or an f1.4 it's top of the line.

Nikon doesn't seem all that interested in dissing their Non-Pro shooters that can't afford the fastest glass by making it obvious that you have the next step down.
Exactly. Also Nikons glass is still very good in the lower segement too. I have both ends of the spectrum and, both shoot just great. And the price jump for the L glass to me means Lunacy.

Not always the case. The Nikkor 85mm f1.4 is most definitely a pro lens but has no ED elements and no gold ring.

No it is true but it's a recent thing. Lenses designed before a certain time didn't have it. Just like the Nikon AF 105mm macro didn't have a gold ring, but the Nikon AF-S 105mm did. Or the 80-200mm 3rd release (1996) didn't even though it was strictly their most professional sports zoom. but the 4th release (1998) and the subsequent 70-200mm VR did.

Definitely any lens made within the last 10 years or so which is a professional grade lens has a gold ring around it, it is how Nikon distinguishes their pro grade lenses these days. The 50mm f/1.4 was released in 1995.

ED or IF definitely does not mean professional as my kit lens is an IF-ED. However the N designation for the Nanocrystal coat does. This is only found on their most recent and expensive pro lenses.

usually the 2.8's and faster have the better pro glass and build quality

Exactly. Also Nikons glass is still very good in the lower segement too. I have both ends of the spectrum and, both shoot just great. And the price jump for the L glass to me means Lunacy.

I have some cheaper L glass which cost me only slightly more than some more expensive non L-glass.

Of course you should not look into a 300 mm f/2.8 or a 400 / 500 / 600mm wide aperture lens. For the latter there is no non-L equivalent and they are just espensive focal lengths.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back