Ladder-backed woodpecker

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Put the feeders up two days ago and this guy has been hanging out a lot [emoji4]
paigewilks.comCK8A0836-Edit.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great shot. I have a Downy that's a regular on my feeder.

Looks like what we would call a 'Pleated' here... nicely captured.

pileated?

Yeah... that word!

Pileated woodpeckers are much bigger than the others and they have a much more pronounced mohawk of red and no white on the back. This would be closer to a Downy or a Hairy for the ones in the PNW. think Woody Woodpecker. This is a Pileated:

fi7qjQr.jpg

Thank you! I'm no bird expert, but I googled "woodpeckers Central Texas" and this guy was on the top of the list. I think they are common here [emoji16] apparently, the ladded backed gets it's name from the ladder pattern on his back (black and white stripes) and yes, they are small little guys!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'm no bird expert, but I googled "woodpeckers Central Texas" and this guy was on the top of the list. I think they are common here [emoji16] apparently, the ladded backed gets it's name from the ladder pattern on his back (black and white stripes) and yes, they are small little guys!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah you're correct, it's a ladder-backed. I was just showing the difference and that they are not the same as "pleated" or pileated. They are always fun to see.

Most reactions

Back