LaForet: Dedicated Cameras are Coming to an End for all but PROS

Or better yet: the Nikon EDGE plan -- the cost of your new camera is split into 36 equal payments.

get the all new D810 for only $100/mo for 36mos!!!

$0 down for qualified customers.

Plus you'll have to option to upgrade to any new models (since we put out trivila upgrades every two years or so in each model line) for no extra cost. You original Nikon camera must be returned in good working condition and have no significant damage as determined by Nikon EDGE.
Keep the money changing hands.
Nice !!

Exactly my thought Derrel .. car leases ...
Of course that can create a new larger market for Refurb's.
it is pointless for them to try really. Remember when a computer filled a entire room? How about when they were three times the size they are now? The average phone probably has more computing capacity than most earlier computers. Hence the dslr. Over sized, older tech. Waiting to be shrinked down in modernism. Cameras shrink over time too, just like the computers did.

Thank you for this link.
I am planing to sell my camera and lenses right now, I will only use my cell phone because Laforet apparently told me I must.
Darn and I like my camera so much, never knew I am not supposed to use it any more.
Thank god there are very smart people who tell us what we need to do.

I'm pretty sure my phone has more computing power than existed on the planet 20 years ago.

Here is a little story I remember from 2008 when the housing bubble happened in good ole USA
Gas prices went up at the time and I remember an expert in the field predicted cars will not be bought any more because there isn't enough gas for us all, gas prices will be too high and people will not be able to afford cars, he predicted in 8 years cars will be owned by only few people!
He suggested to stop investing in roads and only invest in public transportation.
Well its 9 years since I heard this long interview with this gentleman and guess what we are still driving cars and car industry is having a big boom in last few years.
The case this man made back then backed up with lots of good numbers made good sense but alas it never came through.

I'm pretty sure my phone has more computing power than existed on the planet 20 years ago.
no doubt. And just to add fuel to the fire i am going to say that people have more money to piss away right now. Go back a while you wont find many people that couldn't afford to spend 10k on a "hobby" like there is right now. signs of the times. Maybe another economic correction could really sink the dslr sales. Most of these are not necessary items. It is blow money. Disposable income. While camera prices have dropped at the same time. so people are buying a lot more chit. Take away that 20 percent more disposable income you just sucked the profits right out of nikon unless they can talk everyone into buying 100 dollar cameras to replace their cell phones.

public transit make sense to invest in--if you like living in red.

Thank you for this link.
I am planing to sell my camera and lenses right now, I will only use my cell phone because Laforet apparently told me I must.
Darn and I like my camera so much, never knew I am not supposed to use it any more.
Thank god there are very smart people who tell us what we need to do.
well i don't think i would go THAT far it it were me. But in 15 or 20 years walking around with a dslr is going to be the equivalent of me walking around with a film camera. The majority of others will have "something else"

Look at the bright side. There will be a million dslrs on ebay and you will probably be able to buy a d800 for 15 bucks.

love to know what buckster is specifically disagreeing with. I get the feeling he is just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. At the most he might be disagreeing just because he gets bored and likes to debate.

It has far more power than the computers used to send Apollo to the moon.

love to know what buckster is specifically disagreeing with. I get the feeling he is just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. At the most he might be disagreeing just because he gets bored and likes to debate.
Pretty much everything you say in the posts I disagree with, is what I disagree with.

It's not even worth debating with you over it.

See Derrel's posts in this thread for a primer on reality.

I would predict that professional and prosumer cameras will look more like smartphones or tablets in the future. Just imagine something like a Nexus 7 tablet with some additional buttons, an interchangeable lense and detacheable handle with some more buttons on it and a battery inside. Basically that is what future pro cameras will look like. And, of course they will be able make a bloody phone call. And a video call as well.

As for this Vincent guy, he argues that smartphones won because of their software:

"The key is that the software on those smartphones, and the social media platforms and instant connection to the web – ARE BETTER and cannot be overcome by camera companies that fail to integrate software within their camera bodies going forward".

Why on earth does he think it can not be adopted and integrated by camera manufacturers? Why, say, Sony is unable to use its mobile phones experience for upgrading the software in their cameras????
I guess camera manufacturers will do exactly that, as soon as the market will demand it.
Vincent gives no other explanation why photo enthusiasts will start using phones instead of proper cameras and proper lenses.
This is not serious.

once the big boys embrace some damn technology, smartphone cameras will be a gateway into cameras with sensors bigger than toenail clippings.

Uh. Pretty sure bribrius was making a joke.
nope. Not so much. The majority of people on this forum wouldn't be here if they didn't have money to piss away or if their phone camera could do about what their dslr did. Give it a few more years it will. Or another substitute will take hold. why lug around 30 lbs. in chit if you don't need to. Half of this is marketing. The camera companies market the chit out of stuff to middle upper class people. It isn't that they are artists. It is that they are a victim of seeing what the person next to them at the soccer game has for a camera and keeping up with them. They are consumers.

Most of the market from the companies goes to this certain group. Sure, they may have some love for photography, or maybe a geek gear syndrome. Majority is competition purchasing fueled by competitive advertising. Billion photos a day. Think about that. uploaded like every day. That is a chit load of sales to a populace on tech and camera crap.
And the article makes a good point. The cell phone is WITH them. All the time. And improving. Talk about captive market for easy sales. They just have to transfer that money you pay canon for that dslr into getting you to spend a extra grand on your phone. And they do that by improving the phone to a extent it fills the vast majority of your photographic needs. And it is a shut case.

Yeah, but all this in between section, or the vast majority of it. Is people with money to piss away and mostly CONSUMERS. Consumers consume what is convenient to them that fills their needs or makes them look good to peers. If a iphone 8 makes them look good and fills their needs more than a canon mark x they will buy the iphone. .

Most reactions

Back