LaForet: Dedicated Cameras are Coming to an End for all but PROS

When the DSLR gets enough technology stuffed into it to provide the frictionless social media experience it will be... A phone.

And TPF will disdain it.

Anyone have a ipad? My kids Ipad actually takes damn good photos. sure, no where near what a dslr can do but give it a few more generations.... We were shooting some ocean shots a few months ago and i was pretty damn surprised what she came out with using that ipad.

10 million dslrs between $500-$6000 plus all the other flashes, lenses and other junk is still a boat load of cash.

Anyone have a ipad? My kids Ipad actually takes damn good photos. sure, no where near what a dslr can do but give it a few more generations.... We were shooting some ocean shots a few months ago and i was pretty damn surprised what she came out with using that ipad.

I have an iPad Air. Yes, it can take pictures. And it often look decent. On iPad Air.

Never mind. Late 19 century scientists unanimously predicted that by mid 20 century it will be impossible to drive down London street, because there will be so many carriages, the horse sh*t will cover streets up to the first floor. In 10 years time the first car was manufactured. I always remember this prediction when another prophet comes up

I don't think his prediction is right! We have to wait and see. I surely hope that he is right that way I can get some cheap gears when they are on the way out. Later on they will be too expensive.

I hate when famous voices in an industry jump on the Nostradamus train.

It's kind of pretentious.

Like yeah, you're cool and famous. Yes, you've worked with camera companies.

But you're oversimplifying an industry by making far left field predictions using stats that don't and can't prove causation.

I'm sure your PR rep told you it was a great idea though, and you're probably going to sell a few tutorials (that's the whole point, right?).

So...congratulations?

Last edited:
When the DSLR gets enough technology stuffed into it to provide the frictionless social media experience it will be... A phone.

And TPF will disdain it.

I've more than thrice, taken a picture of my lcd display, to share instantly because there was really no other way.

Nikon and Canon innovate by changing the model number of their cameras. It reminds me of the early 90s when the next 4x, 8x, 10x, 20x, 42x CD-ROM drive would come out. Sure they made it better each time, but they did nothing to really advance the technology.

It wasn't until the zipd rive came out where we finally we are able to move onto writeable CD and DVDs and then jump drives.

@Buckster - what exactly do you disagree with?

things change. For the average person wanting good photos maybe they would have picked up a dslr ten years ago. Since then things have progressed. They are getting good photos off their iphone. No need to carry 20 lbs around. [...]
I disagree. The people who wanted DSLR 10 years ago still want a DSLR today, or maybe a mirrorless.

The people who are happy with iPhone et all quality are those who would have bought compact cameras. Because thats the market thats collapsing, not DSLRs.

DSLRs only have the problem that people do not buy new DSLRs, because their old ones are still working fine.

@Buckster - what exactly do you disagree with?
What you said.

besides improving sensors and video capabilities, what leaps and bounds innovation and technology improvements have been made to Nikon DSLRs?

You also disagree that I've done this:

IMG_20130810_093237.jpg

?

I disagree.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back