Lake livingston is ugly

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i found out lake livingston isn't pretty and is very dirty. . .. more to come later maybe.

193398023.jpg

that was shot at iso 200, notice the horrible grain near the horizon (slightly above) Does anyone have a clue what thats all about? this was shot on a d70s, iso 200, default contrast and sharpness. i've noticed this alot with this color in particular, has anyone else shooting nikon experienced this? i used a polarizer, and it was super hazy.

193398019.jpg

will post more, sorry for the heavy photoshop, these were VERY DULL, i guess i'll have to work harder if i want anything better from here . . . its like shooting in a city there, with how hazy it is, except theres nothing.

i'll go back eventually, i hope i can stick around for some more interesting light next time.

i would appreciate some input on the noise on the first one.
also, harsh c&c are always welcome on any of my posts, key word is harsh. one thing you should all know is that i don't mind blunt criticism.

There is little there to be harsh about, other than the slightly inclined horizon in the first. Then that first makes me wonder where you were to get this POV (point of view), this one looks like it was taken out of a plane, really.

The noise bothers you to no end but does not bother me.

And the "heavy Photoshop" isn't half bad, I say, and I quite like the second, only do I find the bottom a bit too dark. But the overall silhouettes of the banks and trees and the colour of sky and water are really nice.

So as much as I would want to be "harsh" (I find that difficult to be, actually), I cannot really. Not with these.

I agree with LaFoto's comments. I think you have a good eye for imagery. The noise is most likely the result of changes in brightness or luminance somewhere along the line. This assumes you had an original image that was high enough in resolution.

I'll get the grain like that when I put too much hue in hazy shots with PS.

well, in the original the sky is dull in that underexposed kind of way, a graduated nd filter would have been nice here. It was like there was almost no horizon it was so hazy, and the noise was present before processing.
it was one of those days where the sky just did not look good, and it was unbelievably bright.

Lafoto- yeah its pretty cockeyed, i was standing on the shore and didn't want to get my new shoes wet, so instead of getting in the water for the pov i wanted i held the camera out over the water and shot a couple panning slowly, this one was closest to what i wanted.

I too can't really see anything wrong with either picture, but assuming by grain you mean noise, I know what you're talking about. I've also got noise in very blue skies in the images from my Pentax K100, which as I understand uses the same CCD as the D70. But as has been pointed out, this isn't usually visible except at full size on the screen. If it bothers you, try some software like Noise Ninja or Neatimage - I'm currently trying out Neatimage and it works wonders for removing noise without otherwise affecting detail or sharpness. Of course if the noise really does seem excessive, you could always take/send it back to the shop and ask them to test and/or replace it if it's still in warranty.

Ugly maybe but you made it beautiful, well done.

Did you shoot jpg or raw? With raw you can tweak the image much more with better results. In jpg you will get much higher noise levels when you play with levels and other adjustments.

The photos look great in the small files you posted. You can try running them through a noise program like Noise Ninja to help clean them up for a larger print.

Eric

Most reactions

Back