snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
InternetWhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Trying to make up for a crap landscape I posted the other day. I couldn't get any color edit on this that I liked, so I converted it to b&w.

Lake Tower
by The Oklahoma Kid, on Flickr

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevedinicol.com
Photos OK to edit
I'd be interested to see this with a neutral density filter and a long exposure, or at least on a day with a clear sky. In a black and white photo, the textures really stand out and to me the water is rough, the hills are rough, and the sky is rough. A smooth sky and lake would make the tower and hills stand out a lot more.

bogeyguy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I think the b&w did the photo justice. I like it a lot.

OP
snerd

snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
InternetWhispers.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Man, I'm looking at ND filters as we speak! Watched a couple videos and I think I HAVE to have one or two!!

D-B-J

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Man, I'm looking at ND filters as we speak! Watched a couple videos and I think I HAVE to have one or two!!

It'll start at one or two...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
Of course you do. You do know there's a simple acid test for determining whether or not you need a particular piece of gear, right?

Do you have it? No? Well then clearly you need it. Do you have it? Yes? How many? Only one? Clearly you need a second as a back-up; not having a spare is almost as foolish as not having one to begin with!

OP
snerd

snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
InternetWhispers.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey! If I can help someone live vicariously through my purchases, I'm more than happy to help!!! :mrgreen:

D-B-J

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Hey! If I can help someone live vicariously through my purchases, I'm more than happy to help!!! :mrgreen:

I vote Lee 100mm system. Go go go!!!

OP
snerd

snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
InternetWhispers.com
Photos NOT OK to edit

Now slow down there!! I'm just a babe-in-the-woods here! I heard one guy say go fixed, because you'll be constantly having to remove the ND for adjustments and all. But can't you just dial down a variable to zero for your other adjustments, then dial it back up, without having to remove it? Of course, I see the variable's are a good bit more expensive too! What are the costs for fixed ND "holders"? Thanks!

D-B-J

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Now slow down there!! I'm just a babe-in-the-woods here! I heard one guy say go fixed, because you'll be constantly having to remove the ND for adjustments and all. But can't you just dial down a variable to zero for your other adjustments, then dial it back up, without having to remove it? Of course, I see the variable's are a good bit more expensive too! What are the costs for fixed ND "holders"? Thanks!

The square and rectangular filters offer so much more flexibility. I'm sure a variable ND is convenient, but I also wanted the ability to use it in conjunction with graduated neutral density filters. I made a thread all about plate filters. You can search my recent started threads, but I can link you to it tomorrow if I remember.

Jake

OP
snerd

snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
InternetWhispers.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Oh! I must have seen it already, because I had already "Liked" it LOL!! I remember now, it is what sparked my interest. Damn you!!!!!!!!!!

OP
snerd

snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
InternetWhispers.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, just for fun here, say I just wanted a basic setup to get started. Could I get away with getting a............. Lee Big Stopper 10-stop ND Glass 100x100mm.......... a Lee filter holder............... and a Lee 82mm adapter ring, because I'll be using my Canon 24-70 II? Is this enough to get started, and a viable setup? What would I want to add at a later time?

D-B-J

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Easily. Then you could add a little stopper, maybe a 0.9 or 1.2ND(3 and 4 stops, respectively), a set of graduated ND's(soft), then a hard set, then a reverse GND, then the possibilities are endless!

Just do it. If you like landscapes, you'll love the filters.

D-B-J

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
And I apologize for sparking your interest... [emoji12][emoji106]

Last edited:

Most reactions

ClickASnap