Landscape - Is A CPL Needed When Overcast?

Maybe. Depends on if you want to affect any reflections in the scene.

Well, I didn't think about that. I see how it can change reflections of water. And it works really great on bright sunny days. The other day I was out and it was overcast, and all of my images just looked washed out, or dingy somehow. Of course, it could have been my inexperience too. So I thought I would ask.

GND is more usefull for overcast days, but as sparky points out it can still be useful for cutting out reflections especially in glass and water.

Water-covered foliage comes to mind.

For landscapes, a CPL filter will give an uneven effect if the sun is higher than 30° above the horizon or if the sun is more or less than 90° to the lens long axis.

As mentioned outside those angles a high quality GND filter is then the better choice.

Shooting pool is good practice for doing photography. Light reflects at the same angles pool balls do when they collide.
8 Ball Quick Fire Pool - A free Pool Game

I've been doing most shots with the 85mm 1.8G and . No filters. Shoot raw and adjust in Photoshop. Just trying the no filter thing for a while. Ed

For landscapes, a CPL filter will give an uneven effect if the sun is higher than 30° above the horizon or if the sun is more or less than 90° to the lens long axis.

As mentioned outside those angles a high quality GND filter is then the better choice.

Shooting pool is good practice for doing photography. Light reflects at the same angles pool balls do when they collide.
8 Ball Quick Fire Pool - A free Pool Game

I knew about the 90° angle, but not the 30° angle. Thanks! And I was looking at getting some GND's awhile back, but put the money to better use at the time. Eventually, though................

Darkening a bright, sunny day's blue sky can be done very easily in Lightroom or most other editing applications. That's not what a circular polarizing filter is crucial for. What can't be replicated in processing, is the removal / reduction of reflections, and the "cut through haze" thing. Well, the latter can be done somewhat (Clarity is a great tool for that, especially when applied locally, and a deep black point is also helpful).

I barely, if at all, pay attention to the sun's direction to determine whether or not I should use a polarizer. I look through the viewfinder and turn the filter, until it looks good. If it doesn't, I either take the filter off completely, or move on to find a better shot.

Foliage doesn't have to be wet for polarizers to work. They will reduce light reflections off of leaves and other objects intensifying the colors.

Yep, if you use a CPL to make leaves less reflective they will appear more green

CPL is one filter the simply cannot be replicated in post.

This is why it's important to have one. I use mine on foggy days when shooting water, when shooting water in any conditions, and not to often on landscapes, as it causes different intensity of blues in the sky.

Jake

Most reactions

New Topics

Back