Landscape Tripods

Samuel.z

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My tripod just broke and now i am here without a tripod.

I used a cheap one but it worked well and was pretty steady. but as expected it broke after 6 months and then i got a used Manfrotto Compact Action aluminium tripod with hybrid head for free.
The Manfrotto tripod was not really steady so i'm now looking for a more steady tripod.

I will mostly use the tripod for landscape photography and therefor i need a steady tripod.

What tripods would you suggest for a landscape photographer? Weight is not a big problem to me.

I'm thinking to spend about 450$ on the tripod but the price is not fixed.

I would appreciate if you could suggest some common brands. In Sweden where i live i found it hard to find a lot of american brands though. but keep the tips coming i might find something nearby.

I'd like to hear some pro and cons on the suggested tripods.

Find a used Bogen (it will last longer than you) Pay $50 and spend the remaining $400 on a new lens.

Regards
Dave

I will mostly use the tripod for landscape photography and therefor i need a steady tripod.

What tripods would you suggest for a landscape photographer? Weight is not a big problem to me.

I'm thinking to spend about 450$ on the tripod but the price is not fixed.

I would appreciate if you could suggest some common brands. In Sweden where i live i found it hard to find a lot of american brands though. but keep the tips coming i might find something nearby.
Gitzo.

I have a set of Gitzo GT3330LS legs made of aluminum. Very sturdy, quite heavy. I have put my entire weight on the legs, so it will hold any camera. Gitzo makes a wide variety of legs and heads, so you can find anything you want. They also make carbon fiber, "traveller" which are short enough to fit into a backpack or luggage, and monopods. If you will be traveling by automobile, and weight is not an issue, look for a set of Gitzo legs and whichever head you want. If the price of a new set is too much, look for a used set. Sometimes they are packaged with the head as well.

Since i live in sweden i might have problem finding these but i will have a look around to see what i can find. thanks for the tips so far.

Keep 'em comin'

I got this for less than 100€ from ebay (new originally packed). I guess it depends on your gear . I've been very happy with it, but have not tried it with my 150-600 on yet.
Rollei Tripod C5i, the light-weight universal tripod

This tripod looked really interesting. Plus they can ship to Sweden!
We don't have eBay or amazon here in Sweden... so if it is not a common item in Sweden i have to buy it new from the manufacturer.

I got this for less than 100€ from ebay (new originally packed). I guess it depends on your gear . I've been very happy with it, but have not tried it with my 150-600 on yet.

We don't have eBay or amazon here in Sweden... so if it is not a common item in Sweden i have to buy it new from the manufacturer.
I would suggest going to a shop in sweden, and see what they have. It might well be that my pod would not be good enough when I put a gimbal head, and my 150-600 on it. But at the moment it is much better than my light weight travelling manfrotto, that was more expensive.

I would suggest going to a shop in sweden, and see what they have. It might well be that my pod would not be good enough when I put a gimbal head, and my 150-600 on it. But at the moment it is much better than my light weight travelling manfrotto, that was more expensive.

I have to wait until my next paycheck anyway so i have 2 weeks left to make a decision. :)
I will go to atleast 2 stores and see what they have to say but i want as much input in this as possible. i might go for an even more expensive tripod if it will be worth it in the long run.
i've heard from experienced photographers that they regret not buying a quality tripod from the start. So why not learn from others mistakes. :)

Hi Samuel,

I read long, very long and longer about tripods. There is never the "right/best" tripod. There is only the right Tripod for you. You want the steadiest possible? Then you get most time one of the heaviest too.

I love landscape shots and I got two tripods. First is a "Berlebach Mini Max L" Ministativ L (Maxi-Version) von Berlebach ® Stativtechnik You need to check by yourself if this is a possibility for you (Sweden).

And I have a "Gitzo GT2542" https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ICFIY9O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I shoot long time exposures and landscapes with them I can say that the Berlebach is by far the most stable I have. It weighs nearly the same as the Gitzo but for a lot less of the prize. But the problem with it is, it only comes up to 90 cm working height. In most cases this is enough, but from time to time is miss, especially in the street photography a higher tripod and that is, why I went for the Gitzo.

And it is a very amazing tripod too, not as stable as the Berlebach, even with the middle column removed, but definetely a really good one. But comes with a price.

Check out who delivers where. The Gitzo was sent to me from Amazon.de (Germany) to Mexico without a problem.

And after all that reading I did and my own experience, let me give you one advice: Buy one time, but buy a good one. And that even counts more for the ball head.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I went to a local store and i told them that i wanted to do some landscape photography. The guy in the store recommended the manfrotto 055 aluminium one. I got this deal that if i bought the tripod that day he could give me the head for free. So even though i could not really afford it at the moment...I took some from my savings and bought it anyway.
So i got away with the tripod and a 3 way head for about 270USD. Spec links below:

I could not stand another day without a tripod so i just had to go and get one. It may not be the most expensive one but i can feel the quality in it and it's really steady. i tried it in heavy wind on ice and it did not move at all. I did not realize how much a steady tripod would change the way i shot my landscape photos. This really opened up my eyes to quality products.

Hopefully this thread might help others find a good tripod as well.

Links:

X-PRO 3-Way tripod head with retractable levers

055 aluminium 3-section photo tripod, with horizontal column

Most reactions

Back