Landscaping...no,not that kind..Suggestions.

sofakingood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all and thanks for taking the time to help me out, Im still new to photography and just do it as a hobby. I really would like to take on Landscaping and see where that take me. I would really like your input as I sometimes feel like my lens being a Full Frame lens isnt compensating my camera, also read that its not suited for APC-S sensor if landscaping is what your going. If anyone has used this lens on a APC-S and gotten beautiful resort to calm my overthinking mind ill highly appreciate it.

Currently using:
Canon EOS 60D
Canon 16-35mm f4 L

IMG_5652.jpg
IMG_5641_4.jpg
IMG_4801.jpg
IMG_5268_2.jpg

Normally your top notch high quality lenses are all for Full Frame.
A crop sensor simply uses the middle part of the lens which itself eliminates any problems which are normally at the edges.

I've only used FF lenses on all my past ape-c and FF cameras.
Try to find a 24-70/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 specific for an aps-c sensor.

Well the issue is not the lens. The 16-35mm f4 L is a cracking lens and should be easily good enough on your 60D to take some excellent landscapes.

The major issue I see in your shots are technique and composition related. All your shots above have a tilted horizon, so I'd sort that out in post. It's important to realise that scenes we see and experience in 3 dimensions do not always work well in 2 dimensions. You need to isolate the important parts on your scene and provide visual interest while putting the viewer inside the shot.

I'd spend some time learning about composition rather than worrying about your gear.

Just got to my computer ....

Are 3 of those 4 photos taken while someone was driving ?
As Weepete above mentions it won't be your gear. Nearly any gear if properly used can take stunning photos. I think you're probably after more colors in the sky. Generally you have a few minutes of high intensity colors before they fade away (at least around here when I do them) and/or post processing to bring out the colors.

There's a lot to learn about photography and generally learning art is a good process. It's not just point and shoot though some P&S cameras and Auto features can help one move more towards what they are seeing.

On your camera, a 16-35 is a wide angle to normal zoom. And that lens should work just fine for what you are wanting to do.

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to help me out, Im still new to photography and just do it as a hobby. I really would like to take on Landscaping and see where that take me. I would really like your input as I sometimes feel like my lens being a Full Frame lens isnt compensating my camera, also read that its not suited for APC-S sensor if landscaping is what your going. If anyone has used this lens on a APC-S and gotten beautiful resort to calm my overthinking mind ill highly appreciate it.

Currently using:
Canon EOS 60D
Canon 16-35mm f4 L

IMG_5652.jpg
IMG_5641_4.jpg
IMG_4801.jpg
IMG_5268_2.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum!
That canon lens you own is an awsome lens.
There are a few discussions in this forum whether a longer lens (telephoto lens) is better for landscape, or a shorter one (wideangle lens - like yours). Both camps have their fans, so you can´t say that this or that lens is bad for landscapes. It´s your preference whether you want to shoot really wide, or rather not. If you do, then you can easily sell your lens and get an APS-C ultra wideangle for the price. But be aware that if you ever buy a full frame camera, you´d wish you hadn´t sold it ;).
If you didn´t know: on your camera this lens covers 25,6mm to 56mm. Wideangle lenses on APS-C are available from around 10mm. I once bought the Tokina AT-X 11-20/2.8 Pro DX and was really happy with it, because I´m in the ultrawideangle landscape camp.
Something to consider for your particular images:
#1 - there is some motion blur in the shot (probably due to camera shake)
#2 - horizon is pretty off - it sure is difficult to shoot out of a driving car, but you could always bring the camera in again, check the results and reshoot if you see the horizon is off.
#3 - if you had a wider lens the rooftop (which you should have avoided ;) ) on the left would have been much more porminent in your frame and much more difficult to avoid
#4 - if you had a wider lens, the houses would have been much smaller, and the foreground (which is a little dark) would have been much more prominent - usually you would like to have the foreground brighter the more prominent it is. Maybe if you had waited a few more minutes/seconds the cloud (if it was one) would have been gone and result in an easier, better lighting situation.

If many of those images are really taken out of a car, as astronikon suggests you should give yourself a little more time and thought to shoot these kind of images - otherwise they are mere snapshots, no matter what camera/lens combination you use. Except for #2 which I like best - this has to be shot out of a car and doesn´t look incidentally as the other three.
#Derrel lately said in a post: "make the image, don´t take it". That is a wise quote that sums it up pretty much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back