Laptop

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I currently use my old laptop HP Pavilion DV8 for editing my photos in Photoshop / Lightroom. With increased size of photographs my laptop looks tired and very slow in responses. I am thing of buying a new laptop for primary use of Photoshop and Lightroom (sometimes Pinnacle Studio for video editing - very basic) and no gaming or anything else.

I was inclined to go for Macbook Pro and found it very expensive, although I can stretch for basic configuration of 15", 2.3GHz8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz (??), Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory, 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB SSD storage for USD 3300. I guess I will not go for upgrades in memory or other things as this configuration would be good for my requirement.

I am sure all photographers would be attached with laptops for their work so needed some recommendation about which one to go for.

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Lastly, a basic question - so far I have created several LR albums on my windows. Will I be able to open them on my Mac also?

Thanks,

Ketan

I use a desktop for editing and would never buy anything Apple, ever........

These are the specs for a desktop I just purchased; i59400F, 8 gig ram, 240 gig SSD, 1 TB hardrive, GTX1050Ti 4gig video card.

I had an older laptop but as I have a separate monitor the screen was just getting in the way.

I am finding using Lightroom and Photoshop super fast in comparison to when I used the laptop and much more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Any suggestions or alternatives?
Actually, not all photographers use a laptop for photo editing. Personally, I use a desktop for that. I do have laptop, but it is mainly for when I'm away from home.

My suggestions to start with your editing software. Whichever software you have or would like to obtain, start there and that will usually tell you what computer to get.

If your laptop has the capability to connect to a larger display, (in the future) that may be an important consideration. As long as you're committed to a laptop, then it doesn't make much difference which one, except for Apple. The MacBook Pro sounds nice in the specs, but there are many drawbacks to Apple products.

I guess its all comes down to if you are primary just use a computer for Adobe products or other stuffs including using the Mac OS. PS and LR should behave and work the same regardless the platform of choice.

However, for $3500, I'd rather get the Microsoft Surface Studio 2. (Still too expensive for me LOL)

As far as Apple goes, if you like what Apple offers, the MacOS and MacBook pro in general, why not? The important things is get something you like and make you happy. Not what I like. :) Nowadays, most of the computers are fine as long as they are comparable in specs. Laptop, desktop or laptop with external monitors are fine. It is really a personal preference.

I have a humble laptop too. It takes forever to load my photo software, but it doesn't really matter. I just wait. I want to spend the money on trips and camera gear, not computers.

At some point though, I will most likely get another desktop computer, as it is much less expensive to get high performance from a desktop computer.

In the meantime, you will just want to get more memory cards, so you can wait 'til you get home to do the editing.

One of my main goals these days is to only edit when necessary. The cameras are so advanced, I prefer to set the camera up to make the pix look the way I like. Post-processing is almost always optional. (since I'm not a pro)

Most reactions

Back