Large Format Film Loader

Dave_D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has anyone tried any of the alternative film loaders like the Fujifilm Quickloader or the Kodak Easy load and if so, are they worth it?

Hi Dave - I think I'll move this thread to the General Q&A section, where it will have more views and thus a better chance of getting you some replies. :)

Hello,

If you are shooting a lot away from a studio then they are a great convenience and a lot lighter than hauling around a load of d/darkslides. I have heard of some people having mechanical failiure with them and ending up with blank film as a result (apparently) of the bottom of the film not being gripped in place when the paper "darkslide" material is pulled to reveal the film. Not good when you've just flown home from the back of beyond with a load of Easyload film to process which turns out blank (this actually happened to a client at a lab in which I worked a while ago). However, this may have been due to operator error. With a d/darkslide, at least you know the film is where it should be when you pull the darkslide...assuming you've put film in it and are not accidentally double explosing it (don't ask:er: ). For that reason and given the film is more expensive to buy (IIRC), if I were studio bound I would stick with the traditional d/darkslide.

Regards

Fuddy

They work well but for the added expence and years of using holder there is not enought merit for mre to switch.

As said before they work good when you don't have a darkroom available. Actually they work good even if you do have a darkroom available. You can occasionally get a malfunction, I think it is on the average of one for every 400. but you would never shoot one sheet anyways. You can get a holder malfunction as well. It works the same way as a polaroid holder does, so if you get a metal tab stuck at the bottom, it may not be pulling sheets. When you use it, you do have to feel the film get pulled down to make sure it is working.
Other than that, the quality is great, same film as individual sheets.

Most reactions

Back