Large Gymnasium Bleachers

mikeama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My company installs large bleachers and other gym equipment. I have been having trouble taking picture in school gymnasiums where they are installed. The light sometimes pours in through high windows. I understand that i will need a high aperture number to have everything in focus. How can i get the best picture of this large structure in a large indoor environment.

You need to add light to the equation; enough to overpower the sunlight that's coming in.

Thank you for answering. I have a flash. Should I direct it towards the light?
Also what should my ISO be.

Thank you for answering. I have a flash. Should I direct it towards the light?
Also what should my ISO be.
Chances are, you're going to need a lot more light than a single speedlight can deliver. I just finished doing T&I for a local high-school football team, inside due to inclement weather, and needed 800 w/s of light just to illuminate the team on the bleachers; that was in a closed gym with no sunlight to beat down. As a rough guide, 800 w/s equates to something between 6 and 12 consumer speedlights.

If your company wants better photographs, you're going to need to purchase/rent some studio strobes. Or hire a professional.

You're in a building, so you can use the kind of lights that plug into an outlet. Get what tirediron suggested, (or more). Yes, you can get 800w/s in one monolight, but I think two or three units that add up to say; 1200w/s (or more) would be the minimum for this project. Since you're taking about large spaces, you can go ahead and get some pretty powerful lights because you can turn down the power, but you can't turn up the power beyond what the light will do. And please learn about how to use the lights so you're not just pointing the lights at the bleachers.

If your company wants better photographs, you're going to need to purchase/rent some studio strobes. Or hire a professional.

You're in a building, so you can use the kind of lights that plug into an outlet. Get what tirediron suggested, (or more). Yes, you can get 800w/s in one monolight, but I think two or three units that add up to say; 1200w/s (or more) would be the minimum for this project. Since you're taking about large spaces, you can go ahead and get some pretty powerful lights because you can turn down the power, but you can't turn up the power beyond what the light will do. And please learn about how to use the lights so you're not just pointing the lights at the bleachers.
Just to add to that: Yes, 800 w/s split over multiple lights. In my case I was illuminating an area about 20' wide and 10' deep. I used three lights about 20' back from the point of focus.

could always try a tripod, and a longer exposure as long as you crop out any windows and light isn't directly on parts of the bleachers. Since the bleachers and other equipment aren't moving that could be an option.

Can you shoot at night? Using the available gym lights and longer exposure like astroNikon suggests might be one option.

Can you shoot at night? Using the available gym lights and longer exposure like astroNikon suggests might be one option.

At night or a cloudy day would be my best option. Thank you for all options provided. I will use a tripod and run a long exposure with a 2 second timer. With just gym lights and my flash, any idea what my ISO would be? I know its hard to tell if not in the environment.

At night or a cloudy day would be my best option. Thank you for all options provided. I will use a tripod and run a long exposure with a 2 second timer. With just gym lights and my flash, any idea what my ISO would be? I know its hard to tell if not in the environment.
If you're going to go long exposure, don't use your flash; you won't be able to get a decent white balance.

no flash. skip the gym lights too during the day in order not to have mixed ambient and artificial lighting.

you're doing a longer exposure on a cloudy day. ISO 100 if you want ... just take a slightly longer exposure.
the long exposure won't be too long either. You have a digital camera, so take shots until it looks right to you.

All comments have been a big help. thank you!

Most reactions

Back