Larry the Horse

polymoog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.polymoog.se
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't normally take pics of wildlife (which probably shows ;) ) but I am going to take some pics of a friend's horse some time soon, (she wants some pics of him in the snow) so I thought I would upload a few pics from last spring, to see what people think. All C&C welcome, these were taken with a Nikon D80 + Tamron 28-200, this year I have a D7000 + 18-200 VR. PS some do involve artistic license ;)

valb003.jpg

valb004.jpg

valb005.jpg

valb006.jpg

valb007.jpg

valb008.jpg

valb009.jpg

Exposures generally look good - composition clean if needing some inspiration and shutter speeds look about fast enough. I think you've got the tech skills (provided you remember to factor in the difficulties that meters have with lots of snow). So its a case of getting yourself some visual ideas and creative concepts to put into practice to get something more out of the shot than just snapshots.

Have a look at some of Raphiels work for some ideas: Flickr: Raphael Macek - Horse Photography's Photostream

Lovely horse! #3 looks like a mugshot.;)

Beautiful animal, he doesn't seem to like the camera though. Maybe spend some time with him while holding the camera and let him check it out.

#1 says "Oh No! The world is rolling!"

Its also my fav if you fix the sliding horizon :)

Wow, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply :D

Overread : thanks, I had a look at Raphaels flickr page, incredible pics. Sometimes it is hard to think up creative angles, so it was nice to see other horse pics, from someone with such talent ...

CMfromIL : thanks, yes he seemed happiest turning his head to one side, problem was, he adores his owner, so always want to see where she is or what she's doing ;)

Thunder : Thanks :)

Frequency : Thank you :)

Netskimmer : Thanks, yes a lot of the shots did end up being with him not looking at the camera, I had spent some time with him before beginning to take pics and being close to him with the camera, some of the front on shots didn't work and as I said above, he was always more interested in what his owner was doing than what I was doing ;) Might need to try harder to attract his attention ...

Bossy : Thanks, yes that horizon is kind of off isn't it ... thing was it is taken on a slope, and the trees on the left seem ok, but as you look right, they do some a bit off, will keep an eye on that for future pics :)

Gorgeous horse! I like the shot with his owner, they have a wonderful connection. Like was already mentioned the exposures are great, you are capturing his rich coloring so nicely! Some different angles and crops this time around will take them to that next level, can't wait to see them!

Netskimmer : Thanks, yes a lot of the shots did end up being with him not looking at the camera, I had spent some time with him before beginning to take pics and being close to him with the camera, some of the front on shots didn't work and as I said above, he was always more interested in what his owner was doing than what I was doing ;) Might need to try harder to attract his attention ...

You could try to putting his owner behind you. He may be looking at her, but if it's done right it would look like he's looking at you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back