Last Chance- Portraits of Jordan

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan, one of my favorite co-workers is going away to college in Anchorage in two days. For being only 17 this girl is one of the most insightful and rational people that I know. She's definitely inspired me on many occasions, so it comes as no surprise that I wanted to photograph her before she leaves. She had never been photographed for portraits before this. I'm not sure if I'll ever be back in Ketchikan or if my path will cross again with all of the amazing people I've met here due to my nomadic tendencies, but at least I have the opportunity to meet and be inspired by them and be able to create and share art with them. The season is ending in a little over a month and people are leaving left and right. I'll be leaving at the end of September, and I'm excited to start the next chapter and meet and create with all sorts of new people again. Anyways, here are a few of Jordan's portraits. Location used was inside of a parking garage where plants were growing over the edge into the garage, and the lighting is all natural with no modifiers. Excuse the watermark in the first image; I'm trying something new.

mg_1315titleexperiment_by_danostergren-d6iy4fd.jpg

mg_1323_by_danostergren-d6iy4fl.jpg

mg_1334_by_danostergren-d6iy4fu.jpg

I simply adore the first photo, while most watermarks make me cringe, this one is an excellent fusion of image and typography. It matches the photo well, elegant with a bit of flourish. I am actually inspired to do something similar if I ever make portraits I like. Place their name into the opening image of the set, using a typeface that reflects the person. I do wonder, how does Jordan's pose and demeanor in these portraits reflect on her personality? These images have a "wistful" look to it (which I love). Is that her personality?

I simply adore the first photo, while most watermarks make me cringe, this one is an excellent fusion of image and typography. It matches the photo well, elegant with a bit of flourish. I am actually inspired to do something similar if I ever make portraits I like. Place their name into the opening image of the set, using a typeface that reflects the person. I do wonder, how does Jordan's pose and demeanor in these portraits reflect on her personality? These images have a "wistful" look to it (which I love). Is that her personality?
Wistful is definitely one way to describe her. You can tell she is always pondering very deeply on her thoughts.

The strand of hair bugs me on the 3rd. Either needs to be more or none.

You did well, fair skinned red heads are always a ***** to get the skin color right.

I like the first one the best. It has an air of romance and mystery in it that fights the model well. One the third one I kind of wish she was on the left of the frame instead of the right, because she is in the 'branchiest' area of the background now, and it is a little bit distracting. Not too much but still just a bit.

I really like #1. The stray hair and the random leaf are throwing me off in the other two. I also wish you did not cover her eye with hair in #2.

The first one is a brilliant image, I just wish you hadn't cropped through her breast. The other two are nice, but pale in comparison.

Personally I like the crop, it stops just as the hair ends which seems like a natural stopping point. The whole image has a nice visual flow to it. Have I mentioned how much I love freckles?

The first pic is awesome. It could almost an advertisement for a fine new French perfume.... "JORDAN" a Fragrance by Dan Ostergren coming July 2021

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I'm mostly in agreement with everything said about the second and third images.

I really like #1. The stray hair and the random leaf are throwing me off in the other two. I also wish you did not cover her eye with hair in #2.
The leaf bugs me as well; still trying to train myself to spot these things, but when I viewed it through my viewfinder I was battling between liking it and not liking it because I enjoy having the environment and model having a connection. In this case I liked it when I shot it but was kicking myself about it once I started editing. The hair over the eye was the big "mood setter" for me behind this image and was very intentional. I respect that you don't like it, but in this case I feel like it's simply a matter of taste. The strand of hair in the third one doesn't bug me, but I would be happy with or without it.

The first image is my favorite as well. It's funny because I almost felt that the watermark was very necessary in order to distract from how busy the left side of the image was. While I love the leaves, I felt that they were too distracting:
jordan_by_danostergren-d6iy4f8.jpg

The strand of hair bugs me on the 3rd. Either needs to be more or none.

You did well, fair skinned red heads are always a ***** to get the skin color right.
I've been practicing my editing skills a lot lately, particularly finding a balance between "correct" skin tones and still incorporating my own style into the photo.

Last edited:
I always enjoy your work, Dan. Thanks for reposting #1 minus the watermark - truly lovely B&W portrait. I like the other two as well, and am not bothered by the little things. She is a powerful model - she seems to have a quiet thoughtfulness about her and it really shows in her eyes. Your work in post really flatters her.

Great stuff! :) Any idea where you're off to next?

I always enjoy your work, Dan. Thanks for reposting #1 minus the watermark - truly lovely B&W portrait. I like the other two as well, and am not bothered by the little things. She is a powerful model - she seems to have a quiet thoughtfulness about her and it really shows in her eyes. Your work in post really flatters her.

Great stuff! :) Any idea where you're off to next?
Thank you!
I'm off to live with my mentor in NYC next in Lower Manhattan. My plane lands on October 10th.

The first pic is awesome. It could almost an advertisement for a fine new French perfume.... "JORDAN" a Fragrance by Dan Ostergren coming July 2021
Funny you say that... Lately I've been obsessed with collecting essential oils and experimenting with creating fragrances. It's a lot of fun, and I'm learning how to make fragrances that completely alter my mood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back