Last poll (hopefully) for the competition, second round- only one to choose

Which one would you choose if you were the judge?

• Total voters

Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got to choose another 15 for the second round (yes I made it to the second round :D), I've shortlisted 14 of them, just can't settle down between these three. If you were the judge, which one would you choose between these three? Also please remember that the competition is of some repute, so let me know if you think any one of these are just an average everyday picture.. Although I don't have too many alternatives, I'd rather not give a poor submission.

I'll catch up tomorrow morning guys, have to get some sleep.. And thanks to everyone for your help so far :)

14904621973_a85743d9f1_b.jpg

14876588046_b96853f00b_b.jpg

14896522781_bfe9c32c6a_b.jpg

I agree with Eddie (and I voted BTW! :mrgreen: ); #1 is the strongest of the three, and looks the least like it was captured in a zoo.

I'll just vote in the morning :)

It would be helpful to know what the contest criteria are. For example, one member mentioned that #1 looks like it was the least zoo-like shot. But I could tell that all three were shot in captivity, so why try to HIDE the truth? I voted for #2 because it shows how the big cats have adapted to their real, actual life in captivity, thus being true to the nature of National Geographic, which has always tried to show the "truth" of the world to its readers.

Again, I based my vote on what I thought the contest was seeing to do: to show truth, not falsehoods or misrepresentations of reality. But maybe the contest is seeking to do something else?

#! seems the best overall quality and composition, and the shadows add some interest, but it's probably the same type photo a lot of people would take at the zoo.

#2 to me seems more unique, but I'd consider making copies and trying some crops and enlargements - I feel like I want to get in a little closer. The bright green leaf top left of center is distracting, I suppose I'd experiment with cropping the top (and the branch lower right seems a bit of a distraction too, maybe seeing more of it could have been more interesting but as is, I don't know if I'd crop the bottom too and go with a longer horizontal almost pano shot or leave it in, hmm it's a judgement call I guess).

Glad you made it this far in the competition - good luck!

Or you know what, I might try a version cropping the top edge and then a little of the right side to keep a similar proportion to the photo but to get rid of the more narrow part of the branch - that's what I think is drawing my eyes off to that corner, it seems to create a leading line. If it was the rounded/knobby part of the branch in the corner it wouldn't make for a visual distraction so much. So for me I guess it's #1 as is or #2 with some adjustment.

Last edited:
Congrats for making itbto the second round!

Once again, Derrel and I votes for the same one. I really do love #2. The symmetry, the light. And hey, it already won the kitty war.

I voted but I think you should enter the one you like best. That way win lose or draw you did it your way :wink:

I only say that as I just lost a contest where I got so much input i ended up entering ones that i didn't even like lol

#! seems the best overall quality and composition, and the shadows add some interest, but it's probably the same type photo a lot of people would take at the zoo...
Yeahbut... that light on his (her?) face is absolutely fantastic! I like #2 a lot as well, but I just can't get past the light in #1.

It would be helpful to know what the contest criteria are. For example, one member mentioned that #1 looks like it was the least zoo-like shot. But I could tell that all three were shot in captivity, so why try to HIDE the truth? I voted for #2 because it shows how the big cats have adapted to their real, actual life in captivity, thus being true to the nature of National Geographic, which has always tried to show the "truth" of the world to its readers.

Again, I based my vote on what I thought the contest was seeing to do: to show truth, not falsehoods or misrepresentations of reality. But maybe the contest is seeking to do something else?
They haven't specified any criterias as such for now. But once the finalists are selected, the themes given will be more inclined towards travel and street photography.. Obviously we can infer that street shots will have a much better chance than wildlife (zoolife) shots; but unfortunately for me it's only been a couple of months since I've started to partly understand and admire what street photography is all about. So, I don't really have 15 good street shots to submit, in fact I'm submitting this one and wondering whether it's good enough. The problem being I don't have any alternate photo to replace this..

14458541670_29162d7655_b.jpg

So in short, I don't have enough street shots to submit and I'm kind of hoping they really really like my animal photographs :roll:

Once you sleep on it, maybe see which one sticks with you, pops into your head (or comes to mind) the most. Of the animal photos that is.

The one you just posted seems to have too much of the out of focus person in it.

If nothing else you'll get an idea which of your photos are good based on which ones got into the next round. Submitting your photos might be a learning experience and next time you'll have even more good photos to choose from.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back