laughable question #2!

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi again... just wanting a bit of help with b&w conversions.... I (thanks to you guys!) use channel mixer to convert in photoshop. now i pretty much tick the monochrome box, play with the red, green, blue channels till i get the desired result... then i go to adjustment>levels and pull the 2 end sliders to meet with the histogram, leaving the middle slider alone 99% of the time.... then i go to curves and add a bit of contrast with a slight 's' shape (as recommended by talented folk on this site too!!!).... anyway, still am not rapt with my b&ws and wondering if anyone could spread some more love my way... I have just posted a couple in weddings/portraits if that helps and quite like the effect of the b&w bride but :blushing: can't exactly remember what levels i used - am thinking they were along the lines of 70 20 10 but i guess i should have written it down... I guess my aim is to produce a uniform b&w each and every time i convert??? Any help is as always appreciated enormously xxxxx
could someone please move this if it is in the wrong section - thought it could have gone in a few different spots??? xx Thanks again xx

Every print will require it's own adjustments. Going by numbers will give you a good head start, like moving the sliders to the begining/end of the ramp, but from there it's going to be up to your eye to get a set of images looking consistant. It really just comes down to practice.

markc said:
Every print will require it's own adjustments. Going by numbers will give you a good head start, like moving the sliders to the begining/end of the ramp, but from there it's going to be up to your eye to get a set of images looking consistant. It really just comes down to practice.

Kinda curious about this, up until now I always used the desaturate command on photoshops image menu to do black and white, now that I have seen this other way that gives me more control I am interested in learning more about it. Anyone have any tutorials anywhere they can link me for learning this technique?

Cheers,

There have been several threads on b&w conversion. Try a search for "channel mixer".
What I was talking about applies to both b&w and color, and is for getting a full contrast range in the image using "levels".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back