Learning Off Camera Flash

Any idea where experience comes from? It wouldn't be from experimenting, would it?

What I have: The desire to experiment.

What I haven't: The appropriate tools. (All I have it one, count them one speedlight.)

What else I haven't: The slush fund necessary to buy the tools for the sole purpose of experimenting. (that ****'s expensive!)

One speedlight is enough. Work with it, learn what it can, and what it cannot do. You may find that you do not even need a second strobe to make your style of photography work.

Your example of the frozen waterfall. Go back, when the drunken doped up teeny boppers are gone, and experiment with your single strobe off camera; post your results.

p!nK

Any idea where experience comes from? It wouldn't be from experimenting, would it?

Nope. I had no Idea. Turns out I was born yesterday.

What I have: The desire to experiment.

What I haven't: The appropriate tools. (All I have it one, count them one speedlight.)

What else I haven't: The slush fund necessary to buy the tools for the sole purpose of experimenting. (that ****'s expensive!)

I'm simply interested in knowing more about the science of lighting, so I can start understanding the art, and decide which tools to buy first. I was hoping there was an informative resource available like I have found with many other subjects in life. It seems that the stobist site is a good place to start.

I have gotten some good responses here, will continue my journey and find a good starting point. In the mean time, I will be playing with what I have, and learning more about it.

Thanks for all of your responses!

I've done some really cool stuff with one speedlight.

I have spent hours upon hours alone in a darkend room with a stupid pink monkey named Wilson to see light patterns, light fall off, effects of different modifiers, etc. You will go mental at times. It is a process. I still have so much more to learn.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you have no idea how relieved I am to hear this. :lol:

haha me too! I have more shots of stuffed animals than I can count. I'm glad I'm not alone, I can come out of the closet now :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back