Learning Photography // Is A Different Model Needed??

bob_barker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I really thought my freshly-bought Fujifilm Finepix S2000hd was going to be a great purchase for learning photography (tandemed with my new college-level photography course that started last week). And it just may be, but the fact that it has practically NO aperture control has me worried. According to the Professor, aperture is a HUGE part of learning photography, and if my "multi-faceted" Fujifilm has practically none, is another camera purchase in store ALREADY?!?!

Everything I was reading made it sound like the Finepix 2000hd was a DLSR without needing (or ability) to change lenses. I can change the ISO, I can change the Shutter speed, but aperture control pretty much doesn't exist. It's sounded like the Finepix S2000hd is pretty much a "point and shoot" camera but I really thought it was looking at DLSR quality. The 10 mega-pixels is nice, but if I'm a blooming photographer, is a camera w/ more control needed??

I'm liking what the Olympus EVOLT e410 is offering, and it seems like it has way more aperture control than the Fujifilm.

How alike and how different are these two cameras?? Am I going to need something more ranged than the Fujifilm to accurately and appropriately learn photography???

I know the S2000hd has a lot of great features, but it all feels so automaticly set. I feel like I'll need more manual features to learn photography like I want to.

I'd like to know how different and how big of a step up the EVOLT e410 would be from the Finepix s2000hd, and if the EVOLT isn't that much different, maybe a different brand/model that I can pick up used for $200 would be the better selection??

Please help out, as I'd like to make the best decision for the best price. I plan on holding on to the Finepix, but I want something with much more manual control to learn photography as well.
---Thanks---

Go for the Olympus e-420, maybe used for closer to $300 , maybe. Also lenses are dirt cheap compared to nikon and cannon.

I really thought my freshly-bought Fujifilm Finepix S2000hd was going to be a great purchase for learning photography (tandemed with my new college-level photography course that started last week). And it just may be, but the fact that it has practically NO aperture control has me worried. According to the Professor, aperture is a HUGE part of learning photography, and if my "multi-faceted" Fujifilm has practically none, is another camera purchase in store ALREADY?!?!

Everything I was reading made it sound like the Finepix 2000hd was a DLSR without needing (or ability) to change lenses. I can change the ISO, I can change the Shutter speed, but aperture control pretty much doesn't exist. It's sounded like the Finepix S2000hd is pretty much a "point and shoot" camera but I really thought it was looking at DLSR quality. The 10 mega-pixels is nice, but if I'm a blooming photographer, is a camera w/ more control needed??
According to the owner's manual your Fuji has a manual shooting mode which would give you control over shutter speed and aperture (see page 45 of the owner's manual).

There is a big difference between an actual SLR cameras and one that only looks like an SLR camera. My advice would be to look at an entry level DSLR from Canon or Nikon.

IMO get a canon amature series ( 350 - 450D including 1000D)
They are cheap, and effective, great control

it is a true DSLR
whereas an olympus e-420 is a 4/3 sensor
(really small)

Your better with a camera that can accept many lens' tbh as you have more versatility and control over every aspect.

I started with a Fuji Finepix s5100 and it got me through my first two years as an amature shooting in high school and for my first year in college.

these are fine as long as you get the manual controls in time you can upgrade to slr

(really small)
Uh... SLR = Single Lens Reflex. The size of the sensor has nothing to do with, the e-420 is still an SLR. The viewfinder is worse than looking through a door peephole, though.

I suggest looking at the entry level SLRs from the main brands (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus).

According to the owner's manual your Fuji has a manual shooting mode which would give you control over shutter speed and aperture (see page 45 of the owner's manual).

Manual mode on the Finepix only gives shutter speed control. It's aperture control is pretty much non-existing (two settings)

Yup, another vote for a real DSLR for a photography class. You can try a high end P&S like those offered by Canon (the best on the market right now) but the price they command is not far from that of their entry level DSLR products.

Get a Rebel and be happy. It will carry you through your photography classes and give you outstanding results.

If you're investing in college level course, get the right tool for the job. :D

IMO get a canon amature series ( 350 - 450D including 1000D)
They are cheap, and effective, great control

it is a true DSLR
(really small)

Your better with a camera that can accept many lens' tbh as you have more versatility and control over every aspect.

So what does that make full frame cameras?

And Canon is the best ever. I said so.

I got outbid on the 2-lens e410 ebay auction, so I'm not biddong on an e450.

looks like they're just about the exact same camera...

and Olympus users w/ some tips on the EVOLT it would be much appreciated.

I better win this next one, lost TWO auctions today....(if my dad forgetting to bid on one of them counts)

You may want to be carful about the E-410. Not to say that it is a bad camera, but it is tiny. If you have big hands you may want to reconsider. I myself have a E-510. I just got into digital photography and this is a perfect camera for me. I was looking at the E-410, but thought twice about the size. If you are able to spend a few more dollars, you may be happier with the 510 or 520. They have more features, but not too many that you will be lost looking for them.

They let you shoot digital in (what I assue is) Photo 1?

Hmmm . . . I'm not a fan of that. I believe beginner's must start on B/W film photography to build up a firm foundation of knowledge. But hey that's not the issue here.

It's been said already, try to find a DSLR from one of the higher end manufacturers. I'd personally stick with Nikon or Canon (ok just Nikon :hug::) as they have more lenses should you choose to upgrade later.

I recommend the Nikon D40, D50, D70s all of which can be found pretty cheaply.

They let you shoot digital in (what I assue is) Photo 1?

Hmmm . . . I'm not a fan of that. I believe beginner's must start on B/W film photography to build up a firm foundation of knowledge. But hey that's not the issue here.

i read an article in a mag the other day criticizing colleges for teaching too much film stuff as its not really relevant anymore. Whilst i was at college studying multimedia, the photo students were messing around in the darkroom dogeing and burning, i was learning how to light stuff, how to read my histogram and how to retouch stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back