Learning the beauty dish

zhound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is probably my favorite light modifier right now. The sweet spot seems to be between 4' to 6' from the subject for my 16" dish. The kind of details you get is perfect for glamor photography IMO. Do you prefer BD for your shots? How do you like to set it up? Lets share some shots.

I wouldn't call this shot a glamor shot, but rather experimentation.
7458004510_ace3f35fde_b.jpg

One light camera top right
Beauty Dish (Grid)
Strobie off camera flash trigger
ND8 filter on 50mm

Haven't gotten to use my BD since I got my alienbee...can't wait to see replies on this and use mine on a real shoot!

Nose is a little bright.. but not a bad shot if you were going for the dark, moody effect. I would try to avoid the hair on the right cheek... looks like stray hair, not intentional, so takes away from the shot..

Learn to love your beautydish, I sure do with mine (mola demi). I think it is the modifier I have used that has given me the most $$$. It is great for straight out beautyshoots, and even for filling light on location. It got more contrast then what boring umbrellas get give.

Here is a example, hope you dont mind :).

img_0705-edit.jpg

img_9960-edit.jpg

I've been working with a photographer and we use a beauty dish quite a bit. It's on an Elinchrom Quarda, so the head is really small and the power pack is small & portable.
So besides the nice quality of light from the beauty dish, we like that it's a good solution for on-the-go wedding photography. With a softbox or umbrella, they are 'squishable' so you have to be more careful with it. The beauty dish is solid, so it's more rugged and it protects the light within.
So when you are tossing it into the car with a bunch of other gear and you have to get to the next location quick, it's nice to have the beauty dish rather than having to take down an umbrella or softbox etc.

Most reactions

Back