Left Behind II C&C much appreciated

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is an abandoned barn in my area. It's getting worse every year so I thought I better capture it while it's still standing. I would appreciate some CC on this.
I tried two different crops. first was framed with the barn only. One of my typical record shots. But then I kind'a liked the way the two angled roads lead to the barn, so I moved the barn up and had the angles of the first road enter and exit on the thirds. The second road then takes you to the barn. Does this work or not?
$Left Behind IIa.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, sort of mate. I do really like what you've done with the roads, thats cool and adds an interesting other compositonal element to this photo. I do think the white sky is a bit of an issue and I'd have liked to see a bit more of the road on the LHS so it connects to the top a bit better but the concept works IMO

Hmm, sort of mate. I do really like what you've done with the roads, thats cool and adds an interesting other compositonal element to this photo. I do think the white sky is a bit of an issue and I'd have liked to see a bit more of the road on the LHS so it connects to the top a bit better but the concept works IMO

Thanks. Yeah, I'm so sick of the gray skies we've been having this winter. I tried to cut as much as I could without crowding the barn.
If the shot is worth it, I might make another trip. We're expecting 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow. I'd like to try it with snow and blue skies with white clouds

I wish 2 things with this pic.
1. I would like to see you somehow emphasize the Mail Pouch ad on the side.
2. I would like to see a different angle to get those scraggly trees out of the shot or at least out of focus.

Compositionally, the road leads my eye out of the picture, or to the far left of the barn. The barn's face on the right does not stand out tonally enough from the trees and shrub. I wonder if a color version would take you more to the face of the barn?

That's cool that you have all those barns to shoot. I enjoy seeing them.

Rick, those aren't grey skies - they're nature's softbox! Ok, so the peak light isn't the greatest, but you can get really saturated colours and very nice wrapping shadows. I used to hate the grey, until a very good photographer opened my eyes/mind a little on this.

As for the barn - very neat. I like the lines you've got going. Too bad you forgot the pruning shears at home, the foreground could have used some thinning out. But you were there and I was not, so I don't know what other constraints you had in terms of the viewpoint.

I wish 2 things with this pic.
1. I would like to see you somehow emphasize the Mail Pouch ad on the side.
2. I would like to see a different angle to get those scraggly trees out of the shot or at least out of focus.

I agree with this ^^ I really like the lines and wonder if another angle - perhaps standing a bit farther back down the road - will help emphasis them more.

Thanks folks. No excuses but my constraints with this shot were:
Directly behind me is a 4 lane highway
To my right is a VERY nice house and yard. In fact I shot this through the rails of a new vinyl fence. It's definitely not as remote as the photo depicts
To my left were some larger trees blocking the view of the barn. On the very top left hand corner of the frame, you see small clip of the first tree I barely cropped out.

As far as the under brush, if I moved to the right, I lost the road angles and the side of the barn, if I moved to the left, the effects of the brush were even worse and if I moved back, I would get ran over by a 10-wheeler doing 65 mph:lol:

I may go back with my zoom to try and get a different view. I only had the kit 50 along for the trip

Thanks again everyone for the input

Not working for me Rick. I don't like the perspective of looking up and I don't like the brush in front.
I think it may get better with a longer lens and different view as you suggest.

Thanks Rick, I went through all of my other angles last night and unfortunately this one remains the best. Another day, another lens :cool:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back