What's new

Left is Off

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
2,905
Reaction score
85
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to Ontario over the summer to visit my grandparents place for the last time, as my grandmother passed away earlier this year and my grandpa has Alzheimer’s and can no longer live there. Several weeks ago the farm was sold. I didn’t spend much time working on the photos I took the day I left until now. I just want some opinions on whether these photos ‘mean’ anything for the average viewer, or if just my family can look at them and remember the years gone by of seeing the place.

All of these photos were taken in my grandpa’s workshop, where he made amazing bowls and woodwork (maybe one day I will try to photograph the ones I have, if I can finally find a light set up that I know how to use J ), so I will try to explain each.

Enjoy, and your comments are much appreciated.

1. A hinge on a dresser in the loft of the barn/workshop
63141114_97687c8cf0.jpg

2. Very beat up bucket, also in the loft
63141098_c907f60057.jpg

3. The view
63141078_5b56e0e62f.jpg

4. Broken knob on the dresser. At least used for two generations, now rotting in the loft
63141073_c1d1030512.jpg

5. Fluke shot of the day. I had wiped away some of the dust and snapped the picture, not aware at the time that I had caught the reflection of the half century old rocking horse :)
63141064_d02ba535ea.jpg

6. Another of the dresser that is in need of a paint job
63141047_94d40679cf.jpg

7. Stove (?)
63140976_e1023da544.jpg

8. Where he left it
63141001_e7f5a1fb75.jpg

9. The last photo I took there. Something slightly symbolic how he left it off :)
63141110_f8ca0902c4.jpg
 
I think these pics are a really great way of remembering your grandma.
Actually, I can't figure out which one i like the most, they're all great and they really give out the feeling. I like the little vintage look and the close-ups are really impressing.
:heart:'em!
 
very nicely done Peanuts!

too bad about your grandparents, my dad died of Alzheimer’s, so I know how hard it is to deal with.. best regards to you and your family.
 
Thank you very much everyone on the comments about the photos and otherwise
 
They do speak! Also to people outside your family!
You have captured something unique here, and I really like your moving in close on the subjects. The rocking horse photo is "wow"! You are so lucky it came out like this --- as if you had planned it ;) (Never more tell anyone you had NOT planned this, ok? ;)).
The textures of all the hinges and knobs and old wood and all that comes out so nicely.

A pity to hear your grandpa is so much on the decline now... Alzheimer's a terrible disease, I am seeing my uncle (the one who once had the darkroom!) waste away with it in his chair, it is a sorry sight. A once cheerful and happy personality, now gone, into their world, out of reach... tough fate.
 
Cool shots and a nice stry behind them.
I like the mirror and tha coat hanging.
Left is off is pretty cool too.
Nice shots. :D
 
I agree, they speak volumes...#8, along with your title, nearly made me cry. I recently went to visit my grampa's grave for the first time, and viewing these, and knowing the story behind them makes a definate connection with my feelings. And altogether, they do have a timeless feel. I think you've done a wonderful job....your family will cherish them, as well.
 
Wow, reading all this, & looking at your photos, Peanuts, made my eyes water :guilty:... Very nicely done :thumbsup:!
 
I can not thank everyone of you enough for all you have said.

It is very difficult to see a person who you loved so much become some one who no longer recongnizes you. The only comfort is believing that perhaps, they don't feel the change they have gone through, and cherising the memories of them before.

Corry, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather.

P.S. as a side note. does anyoen recongnize what the "Favorite Box 28" is.. I have done a search, and I am officially clueless to what it really is.

Edit again: I have discovered it is a heater.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom