Leica M8 Preview

Actually... I thought it would be priced higher.

Given the sticker price of an al a carte M7 and the fact that even a regular M7 body costs approx $4300, I was guessing that the M8 digital rangefinder would be closer to $7000.

In leica-land... I think $4800 is pretty good. Don't forget that leica is kinda like the rolex of camera bodies. I don't think the M8 will be considered out-dated as quickly as other digital cameras out there.

... Lets not forget the 1ds mark II $6000+...

I was thinking more of the whiz bang there is a fifteen megapix out now time to dump this mere leica for the newer one. Not so much that you would be laughed off a job for having last years model.

I personally think a well made 5 mega pix camera in the hands of someone who really knows how to crop in camera, and turn the camera so radical crops aren't needed is more than enough for most things.

Okay if you want to do giant landscapes go for the 4x5 film and drum scanner.

The 10mg is a little low IMO should be 12-15mg and under cost 4k, the Canon 5D likely is a better camera, but M8 sure is pretty

megapixels aren't all that important. I mean, the quality of the images from a 15mp cam with a kit lens or a mid-range lens can't compare to a 10mp leica shooting a fine 35mm summicron.

The 1.3x conversion sucks but is necessary. And it has a vertical shutter which is slightly louder than traditional M's. But it's nice that leica is taking the m digital

Darin nailed it... megapixels isn't the whole picture.... although I would have mentioned the noctilux in my comparison instead :)

Even though digital imaging has changed the playing field, Leica M system has unsurpassed quality, all the wonderful glass and all the advantages of a rangefinder behind it. This is what set Leica apart from everyone else... I'm anxious to hear more about this M8. I wanna know if it holds up to the Leica M-system of the past. Kinda exciting given that Leica doesn't come out with new models too often.

Most reactions

Back