Leica M8 Preview

Rob said:
Leica fans are all nutcases and are guaranteed to buy this in droves, absolutely regardless of what any other manufacturer has or does.

We're not nutcases, we're just enthusiastic. I don't agree that everyone would buy one though. Sure the collectors would, but a lot of people just leica because their good camera. If the M8 doesn't live up to expectation many won't

darin's right. leicas are 100% quality and leica users expect 100% quality from the M8, if it turns out to be s**t they won't buy it. I don't know any other camera that feels like a tank and operates that smooth and quiet. I'm a enthusiast and I don't sacrifice SLR users.

Don’t think quality will be an issue

Have read a lot of reviews that the Epson has a problem with the rangefinder being poorly calibrated and the same with Voigtlander, but I have never hear that they did not fix the problem.

For me the main appeal is its size/weight/demeanor. I favour something 'less threatening' than the D/SLR's, which does the job.

Now let's see how solid the 'digital' part is, compared to its Jap counterparts.

Rob said:
Leica fans are all nutcases and are guaranteed to buy this in droves, absolutely regardless of what any other manufacturer has or does.

Not true! The Leica R SLR is one example. Leica almost went out of business putting everything they had on the Leica R SLR system. The return of the M rangefinder saved the company partly because fans understood all the advantages of a high quality Rangefinder system.

The M8 will have to prove itself worthy of being in the M system family. I for one will not be the first in line to purchase an M8 simply because it is first generation digital M rangefinder and I don't like being the guinea pig. At a significantly lower priced, good conditioned, used M8 in the future... perhaps...

Rob said:
I think it looks great, and I happen to like rangefinder focussing... but the price tag places it firmly in Rolex/Bentley territory - I'd have one if money were no object, but I'll stick with my "cheap" japanese habits for the time being!!

Rob

Yes its expensive and so is the glass. Its relative to what is considered "worth it". The high price tag is no different from the top-of-the-line Canon or Nikon offerings.

Would be any different if Leica released a low price sub 1k plastic not so high quality body (equiv of the $1000 rebel) and the M8 (equiv of the 4000+ 1d or 1ds mark II)? Would people still be hung up on the high cost of the M8? What if Canon reduced its entire line to consist of the most expensive L lenses and a single body.. the $7000 1ds mark II? Would people now be comparing Canon to Rolex and Bentley? Leica is a small company that chose to go the quality and craftmanship route at a higher price.. its a business decision that has in many ways worked to in their favor.

usayit said:
I for one will not be the first in line to purchase an M8 simply because it is first generation digital M rangefinder and I don't like being the guinea pig. At a significantly lower priced, good conditioned, used M8 in the future... perhaps...
...or the M9. I wonder if they'd follow the footsteps of Canon, releasing news models every fortnight. :p

danalec99 said:
...or the M9. I wonder if they'd follow the footsteps of Canon, releasing news models every fortnight. :p

Doubt it... but I would be williing to bet that any problems that arises from the M8 will be corrected in later serial numbers..... Remember M3 double stroke and later the M3 single stroke?

It will probably be at least another few years before we see the m9. Now that bleah of a Leica R system... they really need some major overhaul in that line.

I will probably never buy a new Leica. I find them outdated and overly expensive.

I alos do own a Rolex, used, and a Leica M6...also used...and they are both mechanical gems.

They do everything the outdated way.

I am glad that such companies still exist. That being said, they are like a rolls...buy one a year or two old and get a product with a 50 year life span for 30%-40% off. Sometimes more.

LWW

When I finally gave up film for digital I sold a fortune in camera equipment. Among the fortune was a pair of M6's - one black and one silver - and a full complement of Leica lenses for them. Now I kind of wish I had kept the lenses. iI remember how those Fujichromes used to pop when exposed by those lenses! Wonderful.

That's a great piece of hardware.

Most reactions

Back