Leigh Botanical Gardens - Light and Shadow workshop (C&C plz)

SquidHC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Three shots from a workshop today. Was supposed to be shooting in high/low light contrast. Any input is appreciated.

1. $DSC_0057.jpg
2. $DSC_0070.jpg
3. $DSC_0064.jpg

When I think botanical, I think of color and vibrance. Not getting that at all from these photos. You may want to reconsider your choice to go b/w

The first image is too busy...and the trees in the background are distracting. I see what the subject is supposed to be..but it doesn't stand out enough IMO.
The second image has areas that are OOF...I like what you are trying to do with the composition, but the focus issue, combined with the way overexposed background,...
I like the third..the exposure look good and.....looks like a really nice place to hang out..
my 0.02

I too don't see "botanical" here at all.

Doesn't work for me as title would indicate.

Darkness and contrast is the issue for me. Both 1 and 3 are suffering because they are too dark without going through the full range of light. They exist in that sort of world that isn't quite black, just that dingy worn super dark gray like you would see on a black tee shirt that is 5 years old and been through the wash a thousand times. To put some maths to it:

$histo.jpg

That's number three on the histogram. The bulk of the picture is in that not quite black, but not quite gray area and has nothing on the white end of the scale. I'll bet that 3 in color probably works. In fact, the way that the light is playing in the leaves could actually be a great effect. How did it look in color?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back