Lens and accessory questions for Nikon D3200

SnakeBlitz33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, my camera enthusiast friends.

Since I was last here, I bought the Nikon D3200. I am really enjoying it. I mastered the auto pretty easily! lol. I have been shooting manual for the last couple of months and I have figured out, for the most part, what each setting does and how to tweak the settings to fit my photograph. I think I have come a long way with just the kit lenses and standard on-board flash etc.

New Lenses:
I'm a college student, so money is kinda tight at the moment. I was thinking about buying a used Tamron 90mm 1:1 Macro lens (focus length ~12") for some macro shots of my fish and I dunno, some lichens and bugs and other little things. Will this lens be "good enough," for what I am wanting to do with it?

The other lens I was considering purchasing was the Sigma 105mm 1:1 macro lens, if the Tamron was not recommended. There is a $50 difference in price, used, and I was wondering if there was that big of a difference in the quality of the photo taken.

Accessories:
I'm considering buying a few accessories for the whole system. I am getting more in depth with photography and I don't feel like I have the proper tools and equipment to take the photographs that I want.

First, I would like to get one of those round lens lights for macro photography, so that it is easier to shoot at f16 and get enough detail. Anyone have any good recommendations? Second, I would like to get a battery grip. I hate having to stop taking photos and charge the battery. I would also like it because it seems like it would be easier to take portrait photography with it - and since I have a daughter, that's something in high demand. :D Thirdly, if it's not childish or nerdy, I think I would like to invest in some "camera armor." I know that I handle my camera with kid gloves, but you never know when you might scrape it on something or accidentally knock it off a chair. I dunno. The fourth thing is an actual flash - I need some advice, because I have seen flashes go anywhere from $30 to $500... I'm not sure what exactly I need at this point. I know that I do take some indoor photography and sometimes need a great flash, and the on board flash sometimes makes people look so much more illuminated then the background... I'm just looking for something cheap and easy I guess... Recommendations?

Is there any brand of camera equipment that I should just stay away from, like Neewer, or whatever it is?

I just kinda want to build up my list of equipment available to use so that I might be able to take enough decent pictures to show my students some macro shots of the different types of bugs and flowers and small stuff... all original photos, yah know?

Hiya,

Iv also got the D3200 having been bought it last xmas, the Macro lenses you listed should be just fine but if it were me I would probably stretch for the Sigma. Picture quality between the two is very good but the Sigma lens is pretty heavy, Im saving my pennies for the Sigma 150 Macro lens as my Sigma 60 macro has too short a working distance for my liking.
Flashes is a tricky subject as you will end up getting a bunch of different replies with a multitude of various different brands etc... I started with a Nikon SB400 but have now gotten my hands on two SB700's. The SB400 although very cheap and generally a very good little flash, chances are you will out grow it within months especially if you want to play around with multiple flash shots. The SB700's I have found to be very very good, not as expensive as the Pro level Nikon gear but comes with the majority of the buttons and doo da wats its. I have not had the opportunity to play around with a Macro ring flash but from what I read on comments sections on places like Amazon is that if you want a decent one that's gonna be worth the money expect to drop a fair penny. If you find a decent battery grip let me know as I am also on the look out for such an item.

Hope that helps, any other questions send me a pm and Ill see if I can help

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the advice.

I guess I am going to see about getting the Tamron 90mm macro lens, since it has a 12" focusing depth, It's the cheapest one that I can afford at the moment to "get my feet wet"

I'll look at the SB400 flash and see if it's like something that I need to get by for a few months.

OK, so none of the cheap $30 macro ring lights... I pretty much want quality as far as macro shots go. Just difficult to get the right shots through glass, water and really blue lighting of reef tanks.

I own a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF-SP macro lens, one of the older versions that uses "screw drive" focusing, which depends upon a focusing motor in the CAMERA body to focus the lens. The newer Tamron 90mm macro model or models, have an in-the-lens focusing motor, which is the autofocusing method the D3200 uses. SO, if you want autofocusing,m make sure the Tamron is one that has an in-lens focusing motor.

The Tamron 90mm macro has sort of a reputation as one of the best third-party lenses on the market, and Tamron as a brand tends to have the more-neutral color rendering that Nikkor lenses have, whereas Sigma tends to have a warmer color rendering. This is not 100% correctable in white balance, and is not a really make-or-break deal for most people, but it is something to take note of.

A ring light flash is not really needed, and many people feel that ring light flashes give dull, uninteresting light...and I tend to agree. A short "TTL connecting cord" for the flash, like the Nikon TTL connecting cord, or one sold by Flashzebra.com, ought to be adequate to get the flash off to the side of the lens a bit, and up a bit, to provide a bit of directionality and texture from the flash. If however, you want a low-priced ring light, I see no reason not to buy one. Especially if it's only $30 or so. That's like coffee money for a couple of weeks,or less!

Most reactions

Back