Lens Equivalent

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to upgrade my equipment. I initially started out with an (Canon) EF-S 18-55, EF 75-300, then bagged a 50mm 1.8, and then finally a Tokina 12-24mm DX (which is SUPERB). I sold my 18-55 last week on ebay, so I'm missing some focal length range. I was looking at the Canon EF 28-135, which seems to be very reasonable for cost, especially used (usually between $180-250). I'm wanting to do my research now, so when Christmas rolls around, I can ask Santa (i.e. the wife). Does anyone have experience with this lens? If so, how is the sharpness/speed? The thing I love about the Tokina is how fast it is, so I' definitely open to other brands. Also, I plan on eventually upgrading to full fame, so no EF-S (which is why I dumped the kit lens).

Thanks!!

It's probably a fine lens, but I've never used it. That said, why do you need to fill in 25mm holes in your range? 25mm isn't much.

Are you looking for a vacation lens, something you can just keep on in most situations? If so, okay. If you are planning on also taking your other lenses and just using this for those times when you "need" exactly 62mm, though, I'd just pass altogether. You can walk a couple more steps forward or backward to fill in the gap between 24-50 and 50-75 if you're already carrying your various lenses anyway (walking is not quite as good as having extra ranges, I know, but it's a pretty subtle difference).

On the other hand, if you can get it for $200, that's basically, like, free, in terms of photography lenses. So why the hell not?

From what I've read, the sharpness of the 75-300mm is somewhat less than the 28-135mm. I shoot a Rebel T3, so there's the issue of crop factor. Having a nice mid-range zoom would be handy.

I had the chance to borrow someone's 28-135. I personally found it to be too soft and it also had some CA. Personally, I liked the Canon 17-85mm lens better.

I had the chance to borrow someone's 28-135. I personally found it to be too soft and it also had some CA. Personally, I liked the Canon 17-85mm lens better.

This is an EF-S lens. Not really what I'm looking for though

Most reactions

New Topics

Back