Lens filters, what is it for and why should i buy it?

Don't get me wrong though, that picture look miles above what i can do. Just personally i do not prefer that yellow coating.

Don't get me wrong though, that picture look miles above what i can do. Just personally i do not prefer that yellow coating.

Oh I don't like it either! It was a total mistake. I had just finished a roll of b&w and then loaded color. Totally forgot about the filter. I am at least happy with the composition and overall exposure! :)

Is there any difference in quality between lens brands? What filter would you recommend for my lens? It says that it supports 52mm Filter diameter.

There are enough variations in lenses that it is hard to make a generalization about an entire brand vs. another. A lot of people stick to the lenses away from their camera manufacturer and I presume that in the past the standard tended to be better. Nevertheless, a number of the third party lens makers have some excellent lenses, and some of the lenses by Nikon and Canon aren't necessarily the best.

I just received my polarize lens. Its like witchcraft when i turn the dial on the lens, its like magic.

I tried my circular polarizer the first time this past weekend at a kids soccer game. It did great, the sky was nice. But I'm not sure if it helped with the black shorts as they seemed to have lost some definition. I should have taken some shots without it for comparison. The sun wasn't at a 45 degree angle either as it was 1pm up above and back from the camera.

I ended up getting a B+W - nice filter I got at a great price. It was pretty neat when I was testing it .. just turning it in circles to see what it does.

I just received my polarize lens. Its like witchcraft when i turn the dial on the lens, its like magic.

Careful! You might get burned at the stake!

I remember when my wife bought a polarizer for her Alpha. I had to grab my polarized Oakleys and see if I could black everything out with it.

When considering brand its easier to just go by country. China = cheap crap, japan = good value, Germany = best but expensive.

I snagged a Japanese AGFA 58mm for my 4/3 Olympus for $10, can be had at B&H for $8. When I get a chance to test the camera, I'll mention something about the filter here. Seems pretty well made so far...

I bought my 4 piece set at amazon at literally 1/4 the price of any of the others everyone has forgot about polaroid under 30 dollars for the set and glass just like the other high end filters . Im sure im wackin the hornets nest on that comment but a different type of coatings is not enough to sway me to spend 80 dollars on a single filter. Polaroid has been in the buisness a long time they don't allow sub standard products into a flooded market. Kelly

Most reactions

Back