Lens filters, what is it for and why should i buy it?

I just need a clarification on the Hoya 52mm Circular Polarizing HD. If i leave it on my lens for protection purposes, am i able to turn the polarization on and of?

The circular thing is only to adjust the amount it blocks? So even on the lowest settings it will still have affect on the pictures take?

I just need a clarification on the Hoya 52mm Circular Polarizing HD. If i leave it on my lens for protection purposes, am i able to turn the polarization on and of?

No. You only want to use it when you need it.

The circular thing is only to adjust the amount it blocks? So even on the lowest settings it will still have affect on the pictures take?
It's not a "low setting."

As you spin it, it polarizes the light at different ANGLES. The "strength" of the polarization remains the same (The same amount of photons are filtered out versus pass through, just different direcitonal/angular sets of them). So if you want no polarization, you have to just take it off.

Many thanks.

Ah, they missed a few really good filters. There is the darkness filter, which filters out the dark and lets the light get through. Depending on how much dark absorption you get, you can get anywhere from 2 to 6 stops of additional light. But you have to be careful to clean out the darkness filters from time to time, otherwise the darkness saturates the filter and then you get all kind of annoying dark leaks. It takes forever to clean out the dark leak in your camera bag.

Then, there is the noise filter. It allows you to filter out the noise in the light, and you get clean shots even when you bump up the ISO. However, if you're not careful, that noise filter also attracts static, so you have to regularly wipe it with anti-static fluid.

Now if you're having issues with focusing, you need the split ring focus filter, which works like trifocals for your lens - simultaneously focusing on near, medium and far points. It's a neat effect, and totally confuses the other photographers who can't figure out how you get multiple zones of DOF. They think it is photoshop, but you know otherwise.

Oh, and don't forget the helium filter, which allows you to lighten the front of some of those heavy lenses. But make sure to buy the good helium and not the hydrogen filter, which can explode if there are sparks around. Check that the ring reads "He" and not just "H".

What? :mrgreen:

Ah, they missed a few really good filters. There is the darkness filter, which filters out the dark and lets the light get through. Depending on how much dark absorption you get, you can get anywhere from 2 to 6 stops of additional light. But you have to be careful to clean out the darkness filters from time to time, otherwise the darkness saturates the filter and then you get all kind of annoying dark leaks. It takes forever to clean out the dark leak in your camera bag.

Then, there is the noise filter. It allows you to filter out the noise in the light, and you get clean shots even when you bump up the ISO. However, if you're not careful, that noise filter also attracts static, so you have to regularly wipe it with anti-static fluid.

Now if you're having issues with focusing, you need the split ring focus filter, which works like trifocals for your lens - simultaneously focusing on near, medium and far points. It's a neat effect, and totally confuses the other photographers who can't figure out how you get multiple zones of DOF. They think it is photoshop, but you know otherwise.

Oh, and don't forget the helium filter, which allows you to lighten the front of some of those heavy lenses. But make sure to buy the good helium and not the hydrogen filter, which can explode if there are sparks around. Check that the ring reads "He" and not just "H".

What? :mrgreen:

What do you do with the blinker fluid?

What do you do with the blinker fluid?

Oh, I follow the manufacturer's directions. Except when the little folded paper that comes in the box with the fluid is obviously a counterfeit - in which case, you got blooper fluid instead. Nasty stuff.

Ah, they missed a few really good filters. .....

Don't forget the Histogram Compression filter.... for when the dynamic range of the scene exceeds that which the camera can record. The HC filter will prevent the shadows from becoming pure black while still maintaining details in the highlights.

There's also the two versions of motion blur filters. One version corrects camera motion blur. The other version, the subject motion blur filter, is a two-directional filter. Install it one way, it corrects for motion blur. Install it the other direction, it creates subject motion blur. These filters correct the sharpness problems created by VR / IS lenses.

There is also the Best But Cheap filter. These filters are very common among noobs. They are the best filters available. They are also the cheapest filters. Camera store sell them for 99 cents, but you can generally find them on Amazon or Ebay for 59 cents. Once you get good photography, you start buying Good and Expensive filters. They are the same filters as the Best But Cheap filters, but they cost anywhere from $100 on up.

I bought a circular polarizer for when I'm outside. I can adjust the exposure to my subject and with more polarizer up top (it rotates) you can darker the sky a bit to keep the sky from getting blown out on a bright day. At least that's the way I understand it to work.

So good for landscape, outside stuff. I bought B+W Circular Polarizers. One 52mm thin type for my prime 24 & 50mm and a 67mm CP for my 18-105. I haven't tried them yet, just got them yesterday :)

Just make sure you remember to take your yellow filters off the lens when switching from b&w to color film... :er:

$Untitled-Scanned-15.jpg

Last edited:
That picture looks like it was soaked in pee or rooms that were exposed to cigarette smoke. yuk...

Not a high point in my photographic career ;) I've been meaning to try a b&w conversion on that roll.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back